• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairgorms in April. Too early? (1 Viewer)

Just got back from Highlands: Aviemore then across to Skye for some red hot mountain action, and I mean red hot, we've both been sunburnt the weather has been so good! Weather in Aviemore was fine. Snow had all gone from the town/forests by the time we got there. Still thick snow up on the tops though and plenty of people still skiing.

Crested Tits very hard work, only single birds at Loch Mallachie and Loch an Eilein (walking clockwise around the loch by the sign for the Lairig Ghru - I've never failed to see them here). From my own visits I think there's a long term decline of Crested Tit going on (certainly at Abernethy and Rothiemurcus) and this freak cold blast a few weeks ago has probably given then another good kicking. None around Forest Lodge.

We also had all the other Speyside specials, though crossbill sp were only fly overs, also a fantastic pair of displaying Red-throated Divers on Loch Morlich and a group of 6 Whooper Swans on the extensive floods between Broomhill Station and Dulnain Bridge. There have been recent sightings of Wildcat in the grounds of Tigh na Sgiath hotel near Grantown, though you may need to sell a kidney or two to stay there.

After Aviemore we took a quick trip up to Burghead Bay (dipped King Eiders, but plenty of other good seaduck, grebes and divers), then up and across to Lochinver. Found a couple of pairs of breeding Greenshanks and lots of Black- and Red-throated Divers on the lochs. Twite all over the place, big numbers of Wheatears around the headland at Point of Stoer (Greenland migrants?) and good numbers of moulting Great Northern Divers in pretty much every bay we stopped at. But the big highlight was an amazing passage of Pinkfeet going on over three days. No idea how many thousands we saw, but we must have watched a substantial proportion of the British wintering population come over us - absolutely spectacular.

I also had four pies in two days at the Lochinver Larder - best pies in the world.

After Lochinver we worked our way down the coast via Ullapool, Gruinard Island and Loch Maree - not a single eagle anywhere. Lots of divers though, and with a bit more time you'd almost certainly pull a White-billed out of the bag.

The summit above Applecross had 2 Ptarmigan on a short walk up to the radio mast.

On Skye we had 6 soaring eagles (five White-tailed [!] and one Golden) at the same time at Portree viewable from the clifftops at Torvaig. Also Goldies elsewhere on the island. Camped two nights at Glenbrittle for easy access up to the Cuillins - Ptarmigan, tons of Twite, Greenshank, divers, Tysties etc...

Must find a way of moving to Scotland!

Last edited:
I'm also going up there on the 23rd and Reading this thread Im getting very excited lol.Went up last year but hoping to see a few more birds this time around.we got two leks booked and are visiting a pine martin hide.Can anyone point me in the right direction to see some eagles on the main land? Yet to see any.

Thanks for all your posts folks. Just got back last night after a crippling eleven hour drive. Man, I'm tired :)

Bad news was no cresties or eagles but considering this wasn't a birding holiday but my honeymoon, I didn't do too badly.

Every birder I met hadn't seen cresties. I think the cold has hit them hard and \I was told that they would be sitting on eggs right now so would be harder to see anyway. Also crossbills are very few.

The last week in the Cairngorms was still pretty cold. Down to minus one or two at night with snow flurries fairly often in the day. Up there it was like winter here in Norfolk. One birder I met said that the west coast is a lot warmer with summer birds like willow warblers having arrived already but in the Cairngorms it was still winter.

Saw male capers displaying to females at Garten caperwatch and also one female by chance on the edge of a track near Forest Lodge. The first time I went to caperwatch I didn't stay long enough to see them because the place was too crowded by a bus load of people with one of the wild life tour companies. It was more than I could bear. It felt more like a zoo than a birding trip. Just after, while watching black grouse on Tulloch Moor, I met some other birders who had left for the same reason.

I went back to caperwatch again two days later and had fantastic views after the crowd had died down. Most people just ticked and left, leaving the centre to just a few people who stayed on for more views. I reckon you wouldn't stand a chance of seeing them as well on your own and this way you wont disturb them.
Having been a doubter at first I now thoroughly recommend caperwatch. Marvellous :)

Also saw slav grebe at Loch Ruthven and goosander there. Also mergansers on Loch Garten one evening. No divers though.

Although I didn't see as much as I'd have liked, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just being in wild woods at dawn on a cold cold day was brilliant. And being able to walk around for hours without seeing anyone- such a change from birding in Norfolk where you have to check your pager so as to work out where to go to have a chance of birding on your own and not be part of a crowd!

Can't wait to come back.

Best wishes
Martin

Martin
It think it was me you spoke to, we didn't bother going back to the Caperwatch on any other days, perhaps we should have done! Totally agree with your comments about a zoo, it was really bad that morning people seem to forget that there are others there as well. Decided in future not to bother with going to the event. Nevertheless plenty of birds over the few days, no cresties (we didn't try very hard either) or eagles but stunning black throated divers being the bird of the trip (along with the slavs).
Good birds on the coast but it was really hard with the rather large waves! As for the weather I think it was as cold as I have known all winter, bitter and biting.

Phil

Martin
It think it was me you spoke to, we didn't bother going back to the Caperwatch on any other days, perhaps we should have done! Totally agree with your comments about a zoo, it was really bad that morning people seem to forget that there are others there as well. Decided in future not to bother with going to the event. Nevertheless plenty of birds over the few days, no cresties (we didn't try very hard either) or eagles but stunning black throated divers being the bird of the trip (along with the slavs).
Good birds on the coast but it was really hard with the rather large waves! As for the weather I think it was as cold as I have known all winter, bitter and biting.

Phil

Hi Phil,

you were one of the three chaps at Tulloch then were you. Nice to meet you, we probably would have chatted a bit loger if it hadn't started snowing !

Unfortunately I dipped on divers. I was hoping for some nice summer plumage ones. I've never seen a summer black-throated.

never mind there's always next time.

Thinking about caperwatch, I'm glad I went back, I've never had such good views and once the early crowd had left (gald to say that they weren't as noisy as the lot you had to deal with) it was just like being in a 'normal' hide. I suspect it will just get busier over the years so probably just as well I saw them now.

i wouldn't mind going back when it's a bit warmer though. Maybe early June while it's still quite spring like.
But then again, I'm saving up to go to Alaska. Think Scotland but on epic proportions :eek!:

All the best
Martin

Martin, yes that was us, good to meet you as well. It didn't get any warmer did it. Sorry you missed the divers. One of my mates hasn't had caper which was why we went. Maybe going a bit later is another option when and if people have started to leave. Believe 2 males and a female were seen later on in the morning we left. Anyway roll on Outer Hebrides in 4 weeks.

Cheers, Phil

Hi guys,
I have been following the Cresties that I referred to in the article previously mentioned.

There have been no change in numbers as far as I can see. In fact I found an additional territory at the Blackfold site. I guess it's just knowing the call very well and picking it up as I can assure they are still there.

Last Sunday I saw 9 different pairs at Anagach, Balckfold and Daviot. not seen the Loch Malachie Pair as much as previous years.

The main bird that's been wiped out up here is the wren. Crestie numbers haven't change much on the patches I have been watching.

Cheers, Marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back