• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Prominar 883 - which camera? (1 Viewer)

paperweight

I have used a Sony RX 100 II with my 883 and the wide angle zoom eyepiece (25-60) for the last three years. I like the results and the fact that I can use an attachable view finder. The view finder really helps me to focus, and when I flip the Kowa digiscoping adapter around half-circle, the view finder shows me the right picture (not upside down as on the screen).
The drawback of the RX 100 is that the range of the camera's zoom is limited on the Kowa digiscoping adapter DA 4. Only the midrange zoom factor (between about 1.4 and 2.7) works fine. All other setups will cause direct contact of the camera's lens with the eyepiece of the scope which is not really what I want... When the camera shuts down after some minutes of stand-by, it will move the zoom lens out before retrieving it into the body, again causing a rather heavy impact on the camera lens.
I have not been watching the camera market for the last two years. Is there a new compact camera out there which will be a better match for the 883 with the DA 4 attached?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back