• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing opportunities? (1 Viewer)

My wife and I have booked a self catering cottage near Chanonry Point next June to try and photogrph the dolphins but we will have travelled up from Ipswich so wish to make the most of our visit.
Pinemartins, capercaillie, crested tits and ospreys come to mind as hopefully being in that area so can anyone politely suggest where we may locate them please?
We are in our seventies so walking long distances over very rugged terrain is not an option - don't get old would be my advice!!

Thank you,

Brian.

While you are at Chanonry point it will be worth talking to other photographers there. The locals gerneally have a good idea of where to find bits and pieces.

I haven't yet tried it but I have been told there is a decent population of Pine Martens on the Black Isle and driving the wooded roads at night can/will get you sightings. Putting out the traditional jam, peanut butter and boiled eggs round your cottage also stands a chance.

Alternatively you could book an evening at the Loch an Eilean Badger/Pine Marten hide with Speyside Wildlife. If the martens fail you will still see diddy Scottish Badgers - half the size of soft Sassenach ones!

John

I would advise against the fish farm in Aviemore for photographing Ospreys as I have heard you pay a large amount to take pictures. Price I'm told depends on what size lens you have got. Could have been told wrong.
Loch Garten was good for Crested Tits. Enquisitive little devils, came down to 10 feet

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back