• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Be gentle with me. (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Inspired by some of the truly gob-smacking work in this forum, I decided to pick up a pencil and give it a go myself. Here are my first efforts although I'm not sure whether they're finshed or not, a bit of background probably wouldn't go amiss.

Phil

Attachments

• 282368_2064957115265_1584883559_1978060_5293799_s.jpg
    282368_2064957115265_1584883559_1978060_5293799_s.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 283232_2066198786306_1584883559_1979709_7641930_s.jpg
    283232_2066198786306_1584883559_1979709_7641930_s.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 274
That's not working out quite as well as I'd planned. I took the pics with my phone, uploaded them to Facebook via the phone, then saved them to my computer from there. They open up on Facebook. Any suggestions?

Phil

stunning work - nice clean colours and strong lines - I find it hard to believe these are your first efforts, and I certainly hope they won't be your last - looking forward to seeing plenty more from you!

stunning work - nice clean colours and strong lines - I find it hard to believe these are your first efforts, and I certainly hope they won't be your last - looking forward to seeing plenty more from you!

Thanks for the comments. First real efforts since leaving school 30 years ago when I failed CSE Art. The colours on the butterfly are a bit darker than they should be but I only realised that I was using watercolour pencils after I'd done the black and got a bit of contamination when adding water.

Phil

ps. The butterfly is a Knapweed Fritillary although it's probably best not to compare the patterns on the wing to a real one.;)

Very nice Phil, Nick's got the right of it, strong lines and clean colours working well together.

Mike

Superb work, Phil - excellent piece of perspective drawing on the frit's foreshortened wing - truly beautiful piece of work. Let's see more - you've got over 30 years of catching-up to do!!! ;)

Great stuff, Phil ...

... and hope I don't hijack your thread as I haven't posted before and am still unsure as to how it 'works'. Good to see someone else striking out with coloured pencils - a much underrated medium. Here is a rough 'layout' scan of a piece for future publication that I have completed recently. I'd be grateful for some feedback from others out there doing similar things. It's a 'clean' medium which gives precise control but has its drawbacks. I'd be happy to trade tips and experiences if anyone is interested?

Attachments

• FCscan.jpg
    FCscan.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 95
No problem at all with hijacking the thread but you may get more replies if you start a new one. Love the Firecrest, one of my favourite birds. As for using coloured pencils, it's mainly because I'm so bad with paints but must admit to being pleasantly surprised by the results. Quite like using the watercolour pencils but not sure what is the best paper to use. I did a background for the butterfly picture this afternoon but the paper (printer paper) has just wrinkled up with the water. Any advice would be appreciated before I go out and buy a proper sketchbook. It's great to get such positive comments from some of the truly outstanding artists on here, (frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed to have my pictures on the same site as theirs) but it's definitely encouraged me to do more.

Phil

warm welcome Phil...a beautiful start...wait for more..

@ Len..
Phil say it right... you may get more replies if you start a new one...

your painting is beautiful ,too

warm welcome Phil...a beautiful start...wait for more..

@ Len..
Phil say it right... you may get more replies if you start a new one...

your painting is beautiful ,too
. . . and a warm welcome to Birdforum - even though you've been here for a few years. Look forward to seeing more.

No problem at all with hijacking the thread but you may get more replies if you start a new one. Love the Firecrest, one of my favourite birds. As for using coloured pencils, it's mainly because I'm so bad with paints but must admit to being pleasantly surprised by the results. Quite like using the watercolour pencils but not sure what is the best paper to use. I did a background for the butterfly picture this afternoon but the paper (printer paper) has just wrinkled up with the water. Any advice would be appreciated before I go out and buy a proper sketchbook. It's great to get such positive comments from some of the truly outstanding artists on here, (frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed to have my pictures on the same site as theirs) but it's definitely encouraged me to do more.

Phil

Phil...don't feel embarrassed...the artists round here are some of the best on BF and are all fine folk...[i don't even paint anymore and they are still very kind to me]...! ;)

I find the wildlife art department to be a very positive place to dwell....[no negative vibes allowed round these parts]...all good...:t:

Keep on drawing.....!

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back