• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, Anybody know when this model was brought out and if there were different versions made. I'm referring to the 10x32 model.
Thanks,

Ger.

Hi, Anybody know when this model was brought out and if there were different versions made. I'm referring to the 10x32 model.
Thanks,

Ger.

The 32 mm Meostars became available around the end of 2008.
There have been no major changes though, of course, there may have been improvements to coatings.

John

Thanks I was looking at the cabelas euro version but they were charging $292 dollars for postage.:eek!::-O

The review for 2007 is by a FrankD so I presume its the same FrankD that posts on here. It is for a pair of 8x42 and I'm looking at 10x32 which I presume came at a later date. So I'm putting my money on John with the 2008 date for the 10x32.

The cabelas seems to have come out before the meostar as in the 2006/2007 reviews there is no mention of the meopta whereas in the 2008 it starts to get mentioned.

Thanks,

Ger.

Squidge,

Actually, no, I believe the Meostar was out before the Euro as I remember thinking of the similarity between the two as soon as I saw the Euro in the Cabelas catalog the first time they advertised it. I could be wrong though. Maybe "Meopta Man" will chime in on this one.

The 32 mm models definitely did come out at least two years after the original 42 mm models so 2008 seems right to me as well. Keep in mind, though I never saw one, that Cabelas had a Euro 10x32 advertised at one point. I doubt I still have one of their catalogs from that time to verify it though.

Thanks Frank, I only went on the reviews as there was no mention of Meopta until 2008. Although it makes more sense that the Meostar was out before the cabelas.

It is looking like the 10x32 did not come out till 2008. I just wanted to know the release date because "if" I bought a pair I didnt want to find out there was a few versions of this bin.

Ger.

Squidge,

As far as I know there was only one version of the Meostars. There was some discussion as to whether or not Meopta updated the coatings at some point because of comments surrounding the color bias between different samples but I never saw anything official verifying this issue.

Yep, seen those comments on whether they did or didnt update the coatings. As you said there is nothing concrete to support that they did update their coatings.

Cheers,

Ger.

Squidge,

Actually, no, I believe the Meostar was out before the Euro as I remember thinking of the similarity between the two as soon as I saw the Euro in the Cabelas catalog the first time they advertised it. I could be wrong though. Maybe "Meopta Man" will chime in on this one.

That may very well be true, but we're going to see the Cabelas Euro HD before we see the Meopta HD.

Hi all,

Yes, the Meostar line was released prior to the Cabela's Euro.
The 10x32 was released at the end of 2007 and hit shelves early 2008.
The Cabela's 10x42 HD Euro is in stores now, and unfortunately, it will be a while longer before we are bale to release the Meostar B1 10x42 HD.

Thanks!

Hi Squidge

I was wondering why the German flag (Drogheda) and then I realised. Merkal owns you! and probably us to!

Last edited:
Hi Squidge

I was wondering why the German flag (Drogheda) and then I realised. Merkal owns you! and probably us to!

No, Clive, you guys are still using proper money;). I'm going to trade in all my optics for Magic Beans tomorrow. I'd really like to see a pair of Meopta Meostar 8x32, though, and look forward to Squidge's assessment of the 10x32.

Hi Squidge

Ahh, but who owns Germany, I reckon its the Lizard people.

Yep I'm investing my money in optics instead of holding onto the euro as I think the optics are a safer bet.

Ahh, but who owns Germany, I reckon its the Lizard people.

Yep I'm investing my money in optics instead of holding onto the euro as I think the optics are a safer bet.

I reckon (from ze deutsch rechnen) China could be the lizard folk and they're taking control of me. I've stopped buying Leica and started collecting Hawkes although I would rather have had the dosh to afford the former.

Even the Meopta skoda of optics is getting beyond me. I like Skoda (or German VW really) btw.

Looking forward to your 10x32 thoughts. I certainly like mine and I know why. Its that almost strange type of bright mattish kind of colour that they can produce. It just really gets me and the Hawke aren't far behind. I'm sure Meopta are there abouts also.

Last edited:
I had two vw polos but they gave me awful trouble so I went for a far eastern car.;)

Looking forward to the Meoptas alright.What's your genuine opinion on your Meopta warts and all.

Cheer's Ger.

Sorry, I guess you haven't followed my tribulations with my Leica 10x32 HD and yes they are mighty fine nontheless. I see a pair on ebay for £899.

If I didn't already have one and I had the cash I'd buy one again.
I sold my very nice EL 8x32 to afford them.

Sorry, I just went through that thread. For some reason I hardly ever look at the leica thread. But I did look though a pair of leica ultra hd 8x32 and was really impressed however the price was way too steep.

I dont think I would ever spend over a grand on a pair of bins. Although when you add up the price of all the bins I have or had it surpasses my limit big time.;)

Looking forward to the 10x32 format as you dont hear much about that size. Glad you got sorted eventually, I had a dodgy swarovski eyepiece and had a little communication problem with them a while back but the eyepiece was fixed eventually so alls well that ends well.

cheers Ger.

Providing its a decent quality as has been said by Ceasar who uses a Nikon EDG 10x32, I prefer the 10x32 over any binocular I have ever owned which must be around 20 by now. For one bin to do it all I think its the best.

I expect the Meopta should be right up there and I imagine you could be very pleased. The 10x compresses the perspective more and therefore does not look as natural as an 8x but then you do get closer to things and the 32mm 10x normally have good wide fov. I find 8x better for overall scenic viewing or obviously close in viewing and now I have a Hawke 8x56 and 8x25. The big Hawke does very well for all applications but its obviously a bigger lump to lug around but I like its handling and the view is very good and it does seem very sturdy.

The Meopta will do you for a while until you decide you want to change again and maybe stay with the 10x32 but one of the more expensive ones. I bought used and that of course saves quite a lot. I'm glad I at last feel that my collection is complete. One Alpha and a few relatively cheap but nontheless very good alternatives.

Thanks for the opinions on the 10x32 format. There will not be any upgrading anytime soon as I think I've reached my quota of binoculars. Maybe room for one more but definitely not an alpha or even a mid range bin.
I'm waiting to see what this new Opticron Ed-x is going to be like although I've a list the length of my arm of binocular wants. Only drawback is lack of funding which is never really that helpful when it comes to wanting binoculars.:smoke:
I'll wait for the Meopta to arrive before I start thinking about the next bin, Oops too late;)

Cheers Ger.

No harm intended, but I ran across this in a Meopta search. Not to stir the pot as much as I thought you would enjoy the sales spiel.

I 'aven't the foggiest, yet I'd wager it has something to do w/Cabella's selling Meopta and their namesake line Euro. I'd speculate that Optics Planet was squeezed out of the circle.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meopta-brand.html

"Meopta is a brand of optics that is manufactured in the Czech Republic. OpticsPlanet carried Meopta scopes and binoculars for several years, and while they are good products, at this time we recommend that our customers go with similarly priced optics from more popular brands that are manufactured in Germany, Japan or the USA, such as the Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Vortex Viper or Leupold VX-3 series of products. These are some of the most excellent lines of hunting optics in the world, offering the best values you can find in mid-priced scopes and binoculars. We highly recommend them as a superior alternative to Meopta Optical products!"

To claim superior along w/the addition of an exclamation mark exposes a coup de grace faux pas and a good laugh. Reminiscent of bravado ads from the middle of the 20th century.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back