• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick-Find Index Birds of Spain LYNX (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Here is the Quick-Find Index for the Lynx Book BIRDS OF SPAIN. It can be printed out and cut to size. Fits on an empty page or on an inside cover. Feel free to use it or to change it to your own gusto.

I'm thankful if you report any mistakes you discover.

Attachments

• BIRDS OF SPAIN _ QUICK-FIND INDEX by PAGE NUMBERS.doc
    33 KB · Views: 79
Here is the Quick-Find Index for the Lynx Book BIRDS OF SPAIN. It can be printed out and cut to size. Fits on an empty page or on an inside cover. Feel free to use it or to change it to your own gusto.

I'm thankful if you report any mistakes you discover.

Excellent!

Useful.

Not a criticism or a mistake, but I would probably simplify/shorten it a little by, for example, simply listing 'waders' (not bothering with stints, plovers, etc), corvids (not separating choughs and jays), raptors (without harriers, ospreys, kites et al), etc. The exception to this would be if these obvious groups have been broken up in the guide ... are falcons with the sparrows or wherever they like to put them now? :) I think this might make the index even faster to use, then a quick flick of a few pages to find the relevant birds.

Second small point, personally wouldn't think about 'creeper', but 'Treecreeper' (if it includes Wallcreeper, I'd probably skip a shortcut for Wallcreeper or put it separate).

Last edited:
I would probably simplify/shorten it a little by, for example, simply listing 'waders' (not bothering with stints, plovers, etc), corvids (not separating choughs and jays), raptors (without harriers, ospreys, kites et al), etc. The exception to this would be if these obvious groups have been broken up in the guide ... are falcons with the sparrows or wherever they like to put them now? :) I think this might make the index even faster to use, then a quick flick of a few pages to find the relevant birds.

Have drafted a number of quick indices myself. My view is that so long as everything fits on a single page, the more entries the better. Can't imagine any significant time saving from having a slightly shorter vs longer list, so long as you don't need to flip to another page to find the entry. And the more entries, with more precise page references, means less page flipping in the book itself, which is the purpose of the quick index to begin with.

Have drafted a number of quick indices myself. My view is that so long as everything fits on a single page, the more entries the better. Can't imagine any significant time saving from having a slightly shorter vs longer list, so long as you don't need to flip to another page to find the entry. And the more entries, with more precise page references, means less page flipping in the book itself, which is the purpose of the quick index to begin with.

Maybe. My main point was that within waders for example, stints and plovers were separated, but not for example shanks and sandpipers. So, in this example, to check a wader, the more detailed index might actually take me more time (because I look for what is not there, then need to look under the broader entry) - if I just categorize major groups, it seems shorter and quicker to my way of thinking.

Perhaps even more important (though this index does include the broader groups too, so not valid in this case), but if I come across a small wader for instance, perhaps I don't actually know what it is anyhow beyond 'wader' ;)

However, as said, this was just a comment, not a criticism - I guess it is all about being used to whichever index you choose to use.

Last edited:
However, as said, this was just a comment, not a criticism - I guess it is all about being used to whichever index you choose to use.

Thanks for all the comments. Please note that I provided the index as a Word file. So you can easily adjust it to your preferences. And that includes changing fonts as well. I used to post such lists as PDFs, as that was apparently less often blocked. But that did not allow to alter the list individually.

The main purpose for me to do such an index is for my personal use, and that is obviously reflected in what I include or which terms I use (e.g. shorebird vs. wader). So my main goal is to have it all on one page, as Jim mentioned.

I also often glue two copies into the book, one in front, one in the back. In this particular case, I placed one copy on the first empty page opposite the title page. The second copy went on to the inside back cover. Those illustrations are still accessible up front.

The main purpose for me to do such an index is for my personal use, and that is obviously reflected in what I include or which terms I use (e.g. shorebird vs. wader). So my main goal is to have it all on one page, as Jim mentioned.

Appreciate that it was primarily for personal use, and thus my words were merely intended as reflections. Above all, the most important comment, which I failed to say, is 'many thanks for sharing'. :t:

Appreciate that it was primarily for personal use, and thus my words were merely intended as reflections. Above all, the most important comment, which I failed to say, is 'many thanks for sharing'. :t:

Thanks Jos, I did not feel insulted. ;) It's always good to get critical assessments as one might not see some shortcomings. As I had mentioned before, that's why I now post Word versions, so they can be adapted. As for sharing, I am benefitting a lot from BirdForum, so I feel I can do my contribution as well. It's particularly easy when the main work has already been done anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back