Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikkor 500mm f5.46pf lens - any users yet ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 18:05   #51
john118
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stoke
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by capdegat View Post
John,
If you're brave you can do like I did and get one from germany . I bought mine from big nikon agent and it comes with 5 year guarantee and was cheaper !
Mine was from here - Dostal & Rudolf GmbH
Isn't that technically a grey import though?
john118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 18:14   #52
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by capdegat View Post
John,
If you're brave you can do like I did and get one from germany . I bought mine from big nikon agent and it comes with 5 year guarantee and was cheaper !
Mine was from here - Dostal & Rudolf GmbH
Looks like the 5-year-warranty is valid only in Germany?
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 18:27   #53
john118
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stoke
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Looks like the 5-year-warranty is valid only in Germany?
Its tempting, I sent them an email asking this very question. If they says the warranty will cover into the UK then ill probably cancel my current order and get one from them.
john118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 23:39   #54
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by john118 View Post
Its tempting, I sent them an email asking this very question. If they says the warranty will cover into the UK then ill probably cancel my current order and get one from them.
I asked Nikon USA about this when I was visiting Japan. They said that if I am in person at a store and buy a lens then bring it back to the US they will honor the warranty. The important thing is it must be from an authorized nikon dealer and it must be in person. They do not consider that a grey market sale.

I did this by doing a support request on the Nikon USA web site and asking a pre-sales question. You should be able to do something similar in the UK? Of course, you'd need to buy a train ticket to Germany and maybe drink some beer here and there.

MKarc
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 09:39   #55
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 703
the guarantee is valid in Germany so it can always be sent back if there is a major problem . nikon uk will support any lens for a year only so nothing is lost by buying in europe .
capdegat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 18:34   #56
john118
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stoke
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by capdegat View Post
the guarantee is valid in Germany so it can always be sent back if there is a major problem . nikon uk will support any lens for a year only so nothing is lost by buying in europe .
Thanks for the share on that German store.
I canceled my WEX order and bought one from that site, should be delivered in 2 weeks rather than waiting over 4 months for one from the UK.

As for the warranty Nikon said that I'd have to send it back to Germany for repair if needed whcih isn't too much of an hassle or my insurance that i take out every year for my gear could also cover any costs.

Can't wait to try it out.
john118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 10:46   #57
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 703
Glad you did it. I received mine in under a week so good old German efficiency .
Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite
tree creepers drive me insane but I'll get them in the end !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018_2426.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	747.5 KB
ID:	690364  Click image for larger version

Name:	018_2437.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	690365  
capdegat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 16:18   #58
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by john118 View Post
Thanks for the share on that German store.
I canceled my WEX order and bought one from that site, should be delivered in 2 weeks rather than waiting over 4 months for one from the UK.

As for the warranty Nikon said that I'd have to send it back to Germany for repair if needed whcih isn't too much of an hassle or my insurance that i take out every year for my gear could also cover any costs.

Can't wait to try it out.
I've been waiting since August 2018. It's so totally messed up in the US.
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 16:39   #59
capdegat
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland
Posts: 703
yea but look what we have to pay in europe
capdegat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21651912 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:04.