Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 21:07   #226
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Dave View Post
Yes, a male yellowhammer in the woods at Son Real. I didn't think it was anything special as I see hundreds of them at home. It was fairly close by in a tree near to the drinking pond next to the hide, very yellow especially the head. I don't know what else it could have been. Sorry no photos
David
Hello David,
It is a Balearic rarity and it would be interesting if you fullfill a rarity report for the Rarities Committe
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 22:32   #227
Clive Griffin

A Yellowhammer would be something special. The Cirl Bunting is the replacement on Mallorca, a common bird here, but I don't think I ever saw one in England where they are very local and confined to Devon I think.

I was at Albufera on Friday, it's a shame I didn't go on Thursday, I might have met with David and Kevin. But Gregor, was it you I met in the Sa Roca Hide on Friday in the afternoon? The guy I met there said he was from the Hague. I was fascinated to read your blog and find that you live, or lived in Brisbane because I have a daughter who lives near there, and have visited twice, in 2008 and 2015. You might be interested in some of my photos from there at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

The only bird I saw at Albufera not already reported was a Reed Bunting close to the Sa Roca hide. There were at least 10 Marbled Duck. At Cibollar 1 the water level was low, providing good feeding for waders with close views from the hide including many squabbling Kentish Plovers, one Common Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, a few Dunlin, Little Ringed Plovers and Common Snipe. A Kingfisher flew past, but too quick for a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reed Bunting_8155.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	689230  Click image for larger version

Name:	Common Sandpiper_8061.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	689231  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kentish Plover_7850.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	689232  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kentish Plover_7898.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	689233  Click image for larger version

Name:	Meadow Pipit_8104.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	612.7 KB
ID:	689234  

Old Monday 11th March 2019, 01:33   #228
Mike Montier

Migration is just beginning to warm up with two Common buzzards (not Common at all) going north past the tower, two Sparrowhawk and one Marsh Harrier.
Just enjoying the last few days of Florida. It really has been an amazing adventure with some mind blowing experiences.
I still miss Mallorca though and I know that I will be itching to get back as soon as I leave here.
Mike
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 10:26   #229
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Checklist of Mallorcan birds

Hello!
just to remind you that in la Gola we have the checklist of the Mallorcan birds , which is very useful to know the status of our birds.

Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 22:32   #230
James22

Hello, after a wonderful first trip to Puerto Pollensa last year, I’m going to be back for a week this spring. One of the species I missed last year was Scops Owl. Does anyone know if there were/ are any near Puerto Pollensa? I checked unsuccessfully the sites mentioned in the Gosney guide.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 01:38   #231
Mike Montier

Anyone in the north might do well to call in at Maristany, Juanjo found Red-rumped swallows and other common hirundines there yesterday.
James22, sorry, I’m not a northerner so I haven’t heard of any reliable sites for Scops owl but if anyone can help, please post here.
Best bird here in Florida I guess has been Swallow-tailed Kite, they are so graceful and a joy to watch soaring above.
See you next week, Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D0AE9E1E-D817-49B1-8C8C-36C06E3FE565.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	689578  
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 20:26   #232
rachk116

Coming out over for the weekend at the end of March. Never been this early before, normally come a month later. Hoping to see some stuff in the Boquer Valley. Will be watching the thread with anticipation.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 22:49   #233
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James22 View Post
Hello, after a wonderful first trip to Puerto Pollensa last year, I’m going to be back for a week this spring. One of the species I missed last year was Scops Owl. Does anyone know if there were/ are any near Puerto Pollensa? I checked unsuccessfully the sites mentioned in the Gosney guide.
Hi James,

Sorry for delay.

Real pain in last few years for Scops Owl in Port de Pollensa.

I had them years ago near the Ses Pines Hotel but most of the pine trees have been cut down.

The main site used to be in grounds of Pollensa Park Hotel and I still have hope.

Christina found one near La Gola car park last year but I dipped on that!

Please let me know if you are successful

Mike
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 23:33   #234
hughm

James- if you look back at my reports from Port de Pollenca in 2017 you will see that the main problem for the formerly reliable site at the Pollensa Park Hotel area has been the decision of the management of the Pollentia Hotel to block up the vents on the rear of the Hotel which were a nest site for Scops Owls for a number of years. Before this happened the site was pretty reliable but since then nothing. I was last at the Pollensa Park in 2017 and have no prospect of returning until next year, so I am not really up to date, but what I used to do was to walk around the streets of Port de Pollenca and listen for calls- there have been reports in the past from the Guardia Civil area, the Llenaire Road, and the area near the foot of the Boquer Valley. The call is pretty distinctive and territoral pairs are pretty persistent in their calling, so just wander round at night- I have always found Port de Pollenca a very safe place for owling and you also might hear and sometimes see Stone Curlews and Night Herons as well. Hope this helps- Hugh Matthews- Northampton UK
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 23:41   #235
James22

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Hugh, I had read previously about the holes being blocked up at the hotel, such a shame. Great to hear that Christina had one at La Gola Mike, that means there is hope!! Really can’t wait to get back across it was so good last year.

James
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 14:21   #236
htcdude

2 new items arrived in the post this morning in time for our family holiday in April. Can't wait for it now!

Have been following this thread recently and enjoyed reading what people have been seeing.

Name:	20190316_141517.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	689707

Nige
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 16:35   #237
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcdude View Post
2 new items arrived in the post this morning in time for our family holiday in April. Can't wait for it now!
Have been following this thread recently and enjoyed reading what people have been seeing.
Attachment 689707
Nige
Hi Nige,
I hope you enjoy our book and it would help you to find your targets!!!
Josep
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 18:17   #238
StewB

Scops Owl: so far nobody has mentioned the T word (tape). I haven’t seen Scops for several years, but in the past I will confess that I was successful with a tape. Once in May we had four separate birds in PP, including Postage Stamp wood and the trees near the football camp. I had also previously called them in to the Finca at the beginning of the Bocquer from across the Valley.

I’M not sure if it’s guilt or shame that led me to desist, and certainly many will frown on the practice, but what it did demonstrate was that there were more Scops around than you might think.

Stew
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 18:21   #239
htcdude

Thanks Josep, I'm looking forward to it!

Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Hi Nige,
Josep
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 19:14   #240
Mike Montier

I’m with Stew on that one, there are certainly more Scops owls than most people believe.
In the south, when I go walking at night, four birds calling would be an average evening. Getting them to show is another matter.
I watch them from my bedroom window hunting moths around the street lamps at the back of our apartment, but you still have to be quick, they are never easy.
The only one I saw in the UK was at Thrupp, Oxfordshire. The poor thing was harassed by several million candle power of torches which I found far more offensive that a simple recording. The Oxford bird returned the year after so I was told it could not have minded too much.
Mike
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 19:59   #241
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Hugh, I had read previously about the holes being blocked up at the hotel, such a shame. Great to hear that Christina had one at La Gola Mike, that means there is hope!! Really can’t wait to get back across it was so good last year.

James
I think in the north the best place to hear and seen scops owl is at Son Bosc, the little road from the Depuradora (it is also a very good place) to the main road, where the Bus store building.
At sunset the poles on one of the sides of this small road are very good to see (not only listen) the owls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	088 Mussol.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	983.8 KB
ID:	689743  
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 21:25   #242
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
The fence of depuradora is algo a good place at night, all this area of Son Bosc-Depuradora is very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15874880_10157990712375463_5776332877127206004_o.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	689748  
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 23:01   #243
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Dave View Post
Josep, hello, we met at Depuradora just a few weeks ago after you had been to the doghouse. Yes, a male yellowhammer in the woods at Son Real. I didn't think it was anything special as I see hundreds of them at home. It was fairly close by in a tree near to the drinking pond next to the hide, very yellow especially the head. I don't know what else it could have been. Sorry no photos
David
As long as it wasn't a Serin (which are common), I guess you're fine
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 22:20   #244
david r

Scops Owl calling tonight at the back of the Pollensa Park Hotel

Last edited by david r : Monday 18th March 2019 at 05:54.
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 12:16   #245
James22

That’s great, thanks for the update David. Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice.
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 12:37   #246
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Hello!
It has been great to read all the posts related to Scops Owl. Thank you. I think I can`t add any more info
Well, actually I can. Please, do a responsible use of the tape and just if you really really really need it.

More info. You can consult and download the last bird list of la Gola. If you have seen birds which are not in the list in that period please email me.
[email protected].
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-l...llistat-d-aus/

Remind you that I also have copies of s'Albufereta bird list.

Cheers,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 16:59   #247
htcdude

Sorry Josep I just realised what you'd said and that you were involved in the book itself! It's been great reading through it so far :)

Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Hi Nige,
Josep
Old Thursday 21st March 2019, 06:35   #248
bob freeman

Back in Majorca for our annual spring visit,weather has been total pants since arriving Monday pm but bird wise excellent as per the norm.
Visits to Albufera Albufereta and Boquer Finca so far between very heavy rain and hail showers plus gale force winds.
Plenty of waders at the former site with the usual Avocets,Spotted Redshank,Greenshank,Green Sand,Slilts,Massive numbers of Kentish Plovers.
Two Garganey were on Sa Roca but well over the far side by reeds.
Lots of Yellow Wagtail about and distant Osprey eating fish.
Surprised at the lack of Hirundines present this year as this time last year I had Alpine,Common Swifts plus RR Swallow,only Crag Martin and Swallow seen so far.
Did get nice view of Hen Harrier and a flock of Flamingo coming in at Albufereta yesterday evening which brightened up a bitter cold few hours around about the viewing tower.
Looking unsettled again this morning but weather due to sort itself out come Friday we hope.
I shall try and keep posting here as to what we manage to see over the next week but so great to be back even though weather has put a bit of a dampener on things lol

Cheers

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	690228  Click image for larger version

Name:	AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_21_07:04:14.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	690229  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	690230  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	690231  
Old Friday 22nd March 2019, 19:25   #249
Mike Montier

Hi Bob. Thanks for your usual high standard of photos although I’m sorry about the weather. It has been a perfect climate for tourists so far this year but not for birders.
Its good to be back although the wild flowers are disappointing, maybe due to the lack of water.
Lots of action today it seems, Larus fuscus at Cuitat jardí.
Also Pep found a Brambling, the only one I know of this year so far. There are some irrumptive years for this species and Hawfinch too but this year ain’t one of them sadly.
Let’s see what the weekend brings. Easterlies may spice things up a bit.
I am on a walk looking at orchids at Mondragó tomorrow morning.
Mike
Old Yesterday, 10:31   #250
bob freeman

Mike
We can't really complain about the weather as we did have two lovely spells in March 17 & 18 so it was just a matter of time before we hit a bad patch.
Today is nice and warm with clear sky's so back to normal.
Just in from an early morning mooch around The Dog House and Son Bosc, highlight of the morning being two Flamingo which circled over close above us at the Aramadore decking tower.
We were down your neck of the woods yesterday for a quick visit,a stop at the elevated castle just outside Felanitx in hope of the Alpine Swifts being about but it must be too early for them, we did see Wryneck there and lots of Crag Martin and distant Blue Rock Thrush,well worth a visit for the view alone though but .
Next stop was a wander along Eddies Track ,lots of Marsh Harrier and Garganey was the most common duck there with a large flock flying about the whole time we were there, not much Wader wise with Avocet,Stilts ,Snipe and Sandpipers being the only ones on view.
Bird of the day being a very Low flying Black Vulture at the Inca Turnoff from the main Palma Road.
Red Kites were numerous as were Booted Eagle on the drive South too.
Forgot to add on my previous post that there are still at least two Alpine Accentors at the Formentor Viewpoint but the morning we went was so windy that you could hardly stand on two feet.
Also had a good look around Pollentia Hotel backlane area to try and pick up Scops Owl Monday night but no joy of seeing birds and no calls heard either.
Had some really close views of Water Pipits at Albufera late Thursday and a quick look around Albufereta yesterday evening in the hope of seeing the Hen Harrier again but it looks like it may have moved on and the whole area seemed very quiet as was The Can Cuerassa area too.
Just staying local today as roads busy but planning visit to Morttix next week and maybe a bit higher weather permitting.
Shall keep all updated as per usual

Bob
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: