• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to birds (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
If you struggle find someone who could be your mentour and if you have a birder in your family ask them to be with you. You could even start by going on Guided Walks organised by The RSPB. When I started I had noone to help me but I kept watching Bill Oddie programmes I then started to identify them, sometimes wen I was out I felt as if Bill was with me and lead me to birds. Try and get Bill Oddies's Introduction to Birdwatching were I do aggree it will be handy for beginners. So enjoy it

I agree with Euan about how much it can help to link up with groups. I've been mostly self-taught when it comes to birding, but I've met other birders in the field over the years, and have always tried to learn from them. I'm sure that there are gaps in my development as a birder, as one never knows what one doesn't know (make sense?).

Watching the way experienced birders go about things, from the way they know what birds to expect from certain habitat to the equipment they use, can help immensely in one's own development as a birder. I've learned to swallow my pride and ask the question anyhow, and I've learned a lot.

Excellent thread Euan, I couldn't agree more. I find when in a group people discuss their sightings more and you learn faster as ideas get bounced around. Obviously the more pairs of eyes the better for spotting birds :t:

I agree with all the above advice, Euan and might i suggest that adopting a local patch for regular visits can bring many rewards in understanding the world of birds.

Agree with cuddy, your local patch will be a wealth of information.
If you have the time and inclination I suggest you "sit" and observe what goes on around you. Wear clothes that will help you blend into the backgrond and let the birds come to you. If you like to observe behavior like I do, your time will be well spent.

Leif

I find most birders are friendly pleasant people. Today I stopped off at Dinton Pastures (Dingy Pastures) near Reading and came arcoss a group of birders watching a Redstart. One was kind enough to tell me where it was and I got it. (Not my first Redstart but still a nice bird to see. Apparently the first for several years.) Another (deaf) birder borrowed my bins and gave a thumbs down. (Such rude and snooty so and sos are not uncommon.)

Sometimes I find snooty put down merchants but most 'ordinary' birders (who like me are not afraid to show their ignorance) are very pleasant.

If I'd been put down for my ignorance when I started birding, I'd never continued!!

I started birding by myself (during a rough patch of life when being by myself was all I did), and found myself learning things, albeit quite slowly. I bought books (no motivation needed there!) and read a lot, and then tried to match what I was seeing to watch I was reading.

It's not a bad way to go...

I was fortunate enough to be working at the time with a woman whose husband is a very accomplished and knowledgeable amateur naturalist with an incredibly broad knowledge of birds. I even invited myself along with him once or twice to forays to a nearby reservoir in search of a Great Black-Backed Gull. We were unsuccessful (and there has never been a colder windy March afternoon/evening than that one was!), but we stopped along the road at Fox Island to check for Woodcocks on the way home. Never saw them, but did hear that amazing courtship flight.

I eventually stumbled upon a field trip schedule from Audubon and screwed up my courage to join this group of strangers one morning at Fox Island.

WELL! A nicer bunch of folks you'll never meet!! My friend's husband happened to be along for this trip and he took my under his wing (you'll excuse the terribly obvious pun).

One thing this group always does is stand in a circle at the beginning and introduce themselves if there are new faces in the group. Another thing they do is ALWAYS begin a trip on time!! I once heard a member grouse about leaving a minute -- one single minute!! -- past the announced start time of 6:30am!!

I've since formally become an Audubon member, and have been on many (but not enough!) of their field trips. I have made many friends, including some who have become very close friends indeed. I have continued birding, for going on 11 years now. My interest has led me to join another local organization that specializes in raptor rehabilitation (first a trip to hear David Sibley and get my guide autographed, then a committee, and now I'm vice president of the board).

And it goes on and on.

The birders I have met are unfailingly pleasant, civil, good-humored, friendly folk. The one or two who weren't stand out like a tomato stain on a white shirt. They are willing to share their knowledge and always laugh at the bad bird jokes I've a tendency to make. They have varied a field trip itinerary, while hours from home, at the last minute to help me find my first Bald Eagle (unsuccessfully -- it took me a couple more years). They have spent time making sure I saw what everyone else was seeing.

It's taught me, among other things, that birding with a 'better' birder makes ME a better birder. So I feel obligated to return the favor when I have the chance.
So, I love birding in groups, although I will continue to bird alone as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back