• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boca Raton area birding (1 Viewer)

stonechat1

Hi,
I've seen already 5 new (for my list) heron , but no gulls, warblers, BOP (1 Osprey excluded) or sparrows. Any help is most appreciated!
Two weeks in Boca still ahead, so if anyone will have time and the goodwill to take me with him or her I'll we very thankful.

Regards,
Roman

Some help:

Prairie and 'Golden' Yellow Warblers are possible at Card Sound Road (toll booth area) or Matheson Hammock County Park (mangrove area). Northern Parula, Common Yellowthroat and Prothonotary Warbler breed along Loop Road in Big Cypress National Preserve.

Eastern Towhee in pineland areas of Everglades NP.

Seaside Sparrow possible just past Mahogany Hammock in Everglades NP first thing in the morning. This is the 'Cape Sable' race.

Laughing Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Ring-billed Gull at Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. Not the best time of year for gull diversity.

Usual targets to look for in south Florida this time of year are Antillean and Common Nighthawk, Mangrove Cuckoo, Gray Kingbird, Black-whiskered Vireo, Swallow-tailed Kite, Snail Kite, White-crowned Pigeon, White-tailed Kite, Bronzed Cowbird and others.

Thanks, Carlos, much appreciated!
Had a couple lifers today at Green Cay: Fulvuos Whistling-Duck, Purple Swamphen, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron and Roseate Spoonbill.

Are you 100% on the fulvous duck sighting? They are indeed around S. Florida and have been at Green Cay before, but the black-bellied whistlers are much much more common, and fulvous sightings there tend to be rare. There are even a few fulvous/black-bellied whistler hybrids around, including one that has been at Green Cay and Wakodahatchee the past few years!

If you've been to Green Cay and Wakodahatchee, you should have seen a few martins and swifts, which are omnipresent there. In Boca Raton, you can often catch a variety of terns and some waders behind the library on Spanish River Blvd...the lake there is popular with terns, gulls, and osprey.

Also, hawks have been at Green Cay the past few weeks - I've been regularly spotting a red-shouldered hawk, including this past Saturday, and I have a cooper's hawk still daily invading my backyard. Spanish River beach is decent for shorebirds - a few gulls would likely be there too - also, Boynton Inlet tends to have a fair number of birds because of the boat basin there and the fish cleaning tables...gulls, pelicans, etc are usually present.

At Green Cay and Wakodahatchee, the least bitterns have been very plentiful this year - you should have spotted those. And black-crowned night herons are usually there too, if you haven't spotted those yet. I've been surprised at Green Cay for the last two weekends in a row to have photographed killdeer - they used to be common there, but it's been a few years since I last regularly saw them, and now to have them present in summer is surprising!

BTW - I'm at Green Cay and Wakodahatchee every Saturday, sometimes on Sunday...so if you're in the area in the early afternoon, let me know - I'll be there.

I have no doubts with the Fulvuos w. - Duck ID, Justin. There were 4 of them out in the open, viewing from the boardwalk (after the Yellow-crowned Night Heron nest) towards the center. There were also other guys confirming this ID (I've a few photos of the ducks).
Had also a Red-shouldered Hawk at Green Cay and a hunting Cooper's H. Least Bittern's are everywhere, great shots from close distance at the evening at Green Cay! Have been a couple times at Spanish River beach, no waders just crows and a single osprey. The only gull I saw so far was on the fishing pier at Pompano Beach. Tried to find Boynton Inlet (drove already a half hour on A1A to the north from Spanish River Blvd.) but failed both times :-( Yesterday was great at Loxahatchee, an adult male Snail Kite on the channel at Lee Road! But had a few others of them afterwards at the Marsh Trail. Also my 2nd Swallow-tailed Kite.
Tomorrow with family and friends in Miami but will be pleased to met you on sunday. Will definitely check out the lake behind the library, thanks for the hint! Killdeer is the only wader I don't want to see, had them always in Canada, but thinking about visiting Merritt Island for the Florida Scrub Jay's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back