• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID need Help (1 Viewer)

oguenaydin

Take in Ankara 08.08.2019

Can you Id this bird.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_2799.jpg
    DSC_2799.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 134
  • _DSC2788.jpg
    _DSC2788.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 119
There are 2 different birds there (and species, apparently). Not a great comment, I know, but I have no time for more right now.

Do both pictures show the same bird? I agree, that the first picture shows a "pitfal warbler picture", that gives the impression of an Icterine Warbler. But on second look, its mainly the colours (and the large eye) and on the third look it seems a nice example, how colours are affected by reflection of the sorrounding vegetation.

Second picture shows typical pale cinamonorange-buff colouration of a first winter Marsh Warbler, typical for the warmest plumaged first winter birds of this species. The coldest first winter reed warblers without roufus tones, are darker and less orangey than these birds. Also still the rump is often warmer than the back in these birds while its (just discernable) the other way round in those warm first winter Marsh.
Also bill and head pattern is spot on for first winter Marsh Warbler.

I would also say, that if the bird was a Reed Warbler there wouldnt be confusion about the birds identity, see what I mean?

EDIT: Just read the answer of Rafael, and I think hes right with the two species theory, the second one is a Marsh Warbler in my opinion.

Last edited:
I thing there same Birds. 4 minutes between two photos.. You may be right. Maybe two different birds.

Last edited:
For sure two different birds. Agree with Marsh Warbler for the second. The first can't be an Icterine - the leg colour is just wrong (even given the strange lighting) and the primary projection too short etc. But what is it? The bill seems rather strong... Eastern Olivaceous is the best I can think of

For sure two different birds. Agree with Marsh Warbler for the second. The first can't be an Icterine - the leg colour is just wrong (even given the strange lighting) and the primary projection too short etc. But what is it? The bill seems rather strong... Eastern Olivaceous is the best I can think of

Possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back