• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A geat way to encourage birds to come to YOU! (1 Viewer)

Henstooth

Hi. I have discovered a novel way of assisting my birdwatching! Call it cheating, call in cruel, call it unfair BUT it works. I have used the free bird song discs from the Telegraph, and put them on my phone. The idea was to be able to identify particular birdsong that I heard whilst out in the field. What I have been doing is actually using the songs to draw in the particular species that I want to see. As an example, I could hear a Chiffchaf but not actually see it as the sun was behind. I used the phone and the "rival" song brought the "live" bird down to my location, enabling me to get a good view. The practice drives Robins up the wall making them quarter the area in search and to boost thier own singing. Its worked on Tits, Blackbirds, Woodpeckers and many others. Try it and see for yourself. It's a good time of year to do this as the birds are setting up teritory and calling for mates.
Henstooth

Hi Pete.

Not to rain on your parade but this is not the ideal time of year to be doing this as there is enough stress on breeding birds as it is w/o outside help.

I see no problem during other times of the year and eventually they will even get used to it ;)

Hey Pete,
Here's a link to a very informative post on the use of tape playback .

While there is a place for it, it is a practice best avoided until one understands the full range of implications with it.

All the best,

It would appear that I have ruffled a few feathers with this practice. I understand somewhat BUT I hasten to add this is not something I leave running for hours. It's more to get the birds attention and enable me to get a view for a few minutes! I understand the difference between the two practices and as a bird lover I am always concious of the birds welfare. I do recall Bill Oddie using a stone to knock on a tree to entice a woodpecker down. Surely the principle is the same. I do recall Bill saying that prolonged activity should not be done as it could distress the bird and I wholly agree; that's why I only do it for a few seconds to encourage the birds into view. I WILL STATE TO NEW BIRD SPOTTERS THAT ITS' BEST NOT TO DO THIS. Enjoy your new hobby as I do. I don't meam to upset anyone, nor upset the birds..Thanks for all the replies. HENSTOOTH

I dont think your alone in trying this, but not all people use a cd as you did. My brother reckons his mate can "talk" to a tawny owl that sits in the trees along 1 of our country roads. Get this, he walks quietly along just into dark, literally going 'twit to woo, twit to woo' (emphises on the word Twit) until the owl responds, he then watches for a while and then leaves. Lets hope the owl doesnt see him as a potential mate. Can you imagine the offspring!

I tried tape luring the local Tawny Owl in my back garden a few years back to show friends how clever(stupid) I was. It came, it swooped and it nearly took my head off!! Never again. It must cause the bird stress as it thinks its territory is being invaded and it has to respond. We can tape lure but perhaps it is not the wisest thing we birders should be doing if we have the welfare of the birds at heart.

Henstooth said:
It would appear that I have ruffled a few feathers with this practice. I understand somewhat BUT I hasten to add this is not something I leave running for hours. It's more to get the birds attention and enable me to get a view for a few minutes! I understand the difference between the two practices and as a bird lover I am always concious of the birds welfare. I do recall Bill Oddie using a stone to knock on a tree to entice a woodpecker down. Surely the principle is the same. I do recall Bill saying that prolonged activity should not be done as it could distress the bird and I wholly agree; that's why I only do it for a few seconds to encourage the birds into view. I WILL STATE TO NEW BIRD SPOTTERS THAT ITS' BEST NOT TO DO THIS.

But you did post in a "Tips for New Birders" saying "Call it cruel... but it works!"...

While we are talking of stressing the birds out, when i play my bird songs on the PC my daughters canary starts singing the second it starts. It doesnt sound scatty as such, just sings away, do you think this would affect it in any way?

michaelmacey said:
While we are talking of stressing the birds out, when i play my bird songs on the PC my daughters canary starts singing the second it starts. It doesnt sound scatty as such, just sings away, do you think this would affect it in any way?
In this instance, I seriously doubt it. It is not like her canary is breeding and wary of interlopers in its terriitory. Just my thoughts though.

KCFoggin said:
In this instance, I seriously doubt it. It is not like her canary is breeding and wary of interlopers in its terriitory. Just my thoughts though.

Plus you're not playing canary songs to it.

Funny you should mention the canary songs, thats the only 1 i dont play, yet the second the first tweet is heard, Wallop, you cant shut her up,,,,

I'm no expert on these things so can't rule out stress, but maybe it feels it's time for the dawn chorus and is just joining in? Just a thought, as I doubt it'll feels there's an interloper about if there's a different species' song being played.

EVERYONE. I must say that the practice of sound playback is something that shouldn't be done. I understand I set this topic off BUT despite it's novilty value, it is something that could cause unecessary stress to birds and that can't be good. I understand that a true rival is something birds have to contend with and me adding to that is wrong. As a true bird lover I should have though a bit more about this and it's consequences. The best thing for new birders is to learn good field craft and build up knowledge. Playback is for TV shows. Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back