• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mesa 8x or Cascade 8x? (1 Viewer)

Redeye171

Mesa 8x or Cascade 8x? (porros)

I am having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I can't seem to find out if they are fully multicoated or not. Some sites say they are some don't.
do they both use an internal focus mechanism? In any event which one would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance.............Red

Last edited:
Red,

I have very limited experience with the Mesa as I have only used them on one occasion. I have owned three of the Leupold Cascade porros for extended periods of time. Their optics are outstanding in terms of brightness, apparent sharpness and true clarity. They exhibit low levels of color fringing (though it is there) and a very good "3D effect" because of the porro prism design. Edge sharpness in the image is also very good. The only real negative is their fairly narrow field of view (336 feet). Ergonomics are also superb in my opinion. The rounded doglegs give you a very comfortable "like a glove" type feeling.

The Cascade porros are internal focus. The Mesas are the more traditional external focus but with o-rings for waterproofing.

Thanks Frank.

One more question if you would please.

I'm not sure it's been talked about but how would you rate the Cascade porro against the ZRS HD? Both in 8x...

In that comparison I would choose the Cascade porro. I am very big on color-neutral binoculars in general. The ZRS that I had in my possession displayed a warm-reddish color cast. On that point alone I would choose the Cascade porros. Apparent sharpness also favor the Cascade porros. Brightness was about even. I did not really notice much of the field of view difference though that favors the ZRS by two dozen feet or so.

Frank,

What are the width dimensions of the Cascades. They only list height of 5". Are they compact enough to be used as a hunting bin. I don't want to keep banging my rifle stock on them!!

The Cascade width dimension is 7.1". The Mesa and New Rogue will very likely be just about the same. 5"x7" seems to be a fairly typical 8x42mm porro prism size profile.

I tend to agree with Frank about the ZRS. While it is an impressive optical performer for the price in a roof prism, I wound up not buying either of the review ZRS because I couldn't get to like the red color bias. Although it might have some advantage as a hunting glass in looking for gray and brown animals in green, gray, and brown foliage.

Scoutman,

It is a fairly compact porro prism bin. They are much smaller in my hand when compared to the Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro and more ergonomic. I would highly recommend them as a hunting bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back