• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowhammer in SE UK (1 Viewer)

pauljones

Hi all,

I'm a born again birder (the Bitten I saw at Leighton Moss in December restarted me) and over the last 6 months I've managed to see a good variety off birds (138), but I've not seen a Yellowhammer. I have very fond memories of my dad teaching me the song whilst walking around Rivington. I now live in SE London and I have no idea where to go to see this "common" bird (strangely it is never mentioned on birdguides.com ;)).

If anybody could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Am I right in thinking it may be easy to see in autumn/winter as I have read it will then be in flocks, again if anybody could point me to where these flocks are likely to be in this area I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

There are plenty of yellowhammers at the Hucking estate (Woodland trust) near Detling/Stockbury in Kent. All along the hedges between the farthest car park and the church. If you do come down, keep an eye out for the little owl that is more often than not in the trees by the car park.

Welcome to BF by the way!

Woody

Hi Paul,

There were ( I haven't been there for a couple of weeks) several Yellowhammers on Riddlesdown Common which is about 5 miles south of Croydon. Very easy to spot and very vocal!!

Good Luck..... Ruby

Last edited:
I am a fair way from you,up in the East Midlands in fact,but I am lucky enough to get at least two and up to five Yellowhammers every day feeding in the garden.Also the Yellowhammer fledglings come for a visit too.

We have a nature trail on the doorstep and get flocks of them there.

Thank you for the information. I'm now wondering if I can detour via Croydon and Hucking on my way to the office tomorrow :).

Paul

pauljones said:
Thank you for the information. I'm now wondering if I can detour via Croydon and Hucking on my way to the office tomorrow :).

Paul

Sounds a bit tricky Paul - might have to drop something from the itinerary....the office would be my favourite.... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back