• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon rumours (2 Viewers)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
Must be the time of year to see who thinks what Nikon will bring out or did the catastrophe in Japan hamper all schedules and cause delay until 2012?

I see that WE are selling off the D300s with a free battery pack, is this a sign of impending stock clear out? I see on the usual rumour sites that stock is running out but not shore if thats earthquake related or not

Rumours of a replacement D300 and D700 are rife :-O

Must be the time of year to see who thinks what Nikon will bring out or did the catastrophe in Japan hamper all schedules and cause delay until 2012?

I see that WE are selling off the D300s with a free battery pack, is this a sign of impending stock clear out? I see on the usual rumour sites that stock is running out but not shore if thats earthquake related or not

Not what I have read Steve. It seems unlikely there will be anything other than a new mirror less camera body launch ( made in Malaysia) this year according to Nikonians. D3's and D700 production has been severely hit.
I wondered if the D300s offer was to try and prevent customers going to the 7D in the meantime, but, again from what I have seen Canon have just as many problems post earthquake.
cheers Dave

I see that WE are selling off the D300s with a free battery pack, is this a sign of impending stock clear out?

Can you point me to where this offer is please. Just been on their website and cannot find it. Thanks. Neil.

I see that WE are selling off the D300s with a free battery pack, is this a sign of impending stock clear out?

Can you point me to where this offer is please. Just been on their website and cannot find it. Thanks. Neil.

The offer seems to have been withdrawn, it was there for sure two days ago.

Neil - recommend that you sign up for the WE news emails I saw the offer via this process

Well, Sony are expected to announce the A77, around early June, with 24mp aps-c sensor, and no doubt Nikon are already customers, as they were with the 16mp sensor so there's a start point for rumours!

What one you going for Steve?

Today on NR.

"They essentially explain what happened with Nikon since March 11th (earthquake, tsunami, Fukushima, etc.) and what major decisions have been taken since concerning the product plants situated in the area.

They told us that most of the machines have been moved to a new plant in Malaysia and most of the employees have been moved as well with some monetary compensation. Then, some photo slides of the Malaysian plant have been shown. The new facility is already producing cameras and lenses. Expect to see “Made in Malaysia” Nikon product very soon.

Now, as you can imagine, everybody asked for the D700 and D3 replacement schedule. Here is what the Nikon rep said: “Two new FX bodies will be announced by the end of August. Availability in Fall.” Even though the rep wasn’t explicit about which current cameras are going to be replaced, it was quite clear they were talking about “old body designs” (guess D700 and D3). Nevertheless, the two FX cameras will be aimed at different customers who have different needs: one camera for “expert” photographers, the other for “pro” photographers. Technical spec and form factors will be significantly different as well."

And ;)

No surprise, there are new cameras coming out weekly, I dont want touch screen, toy mode, built in filters, sepia, spirit levels, so I am happy with what I have.

I change my camera approximately every, oh, well, once in the last ten years in fact, before that my Nikon F was great and I would be still using it had it not been stolen.

And, good adverts eh, stock running out, can't build more "buy it quick at inflated prices"!

And ;)

I change my camera approximately every, oh, well, once in the last ten years in fact, before that my Nikon F was great and I would be still using it had it not been stolen.

I guess the thread is more geared towards the extremely keen photographers who demand the maximum for there hobby, agree that manufactures offer silly stuff on the consumer models (not so at the upper end of the market). As a Nikon user I would really want an equivalent to Canon's 7D which I hope will be in the guise of a D400

Last edited:
JERS, is correct DSLR digital cameras have pretty much trod water with development; they’ve fiddled with the sensor, but still cannot match the colours of film. They tempt us with better ISO advertising jargon and we believe them. We take for gospel the writing of the reviewers without taking their credibility into account.

I know exactly where he’s coming from with a cupboard of Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and the wonderful Zenith film cameras and lenses. Film was a constant you had the correct camera combination; you gave professional labs the tricky part in developing and printing. Now suddenly the place is full of experts in post production.

It would be wonderful if Nikon launched a camera that had a self-life beyond 3 years, we are as much to blame, demanding newer models.

No one really needs a camera over 6Mbs if all they do with the images is place them on the web; it has the lowest resolution needs of any process. The 2DH images are just as good as the D3 if the lighting is adequate.

Professionals buy camera because it makes good sense to offset the costs against VAT and Corporation tax.

Steve is correct about Canon, I’ve only been envious of two things with Canon.

1. The 500mm lens, for some years it was sold at a reasonable price and made good sense to use their cameras. It has rocketed in price since as Canon has cornered their market share.

2. Canon’s ability to produce the right camera at the right price, 30,40 and 7D have all been that camera. They may not have been the best, but they offered real value for money.

Here is another point, perhaps manufacturers keep dishing out simply re-vamped models with nothing to offer because people buy them, if people stopped turning in their previously perfect 18mp model for the latest 19mp model just because it had a higher number on the front of TDI, XR4 added to the name so they could show off the latest number plate, manufacturers may actually come up with something worthy.

Up until MY Canon 10D was stolen and my 16 year olds Nikon D70 was stolen we were happy, thank you, now new for old insurance gave us the Canon D60 and Nikon 3100D, we are again happy, but boy were they simple to use, no not because they are so user friendly and great,...... simply because little had changed, TEN plus years on offers little, the Nikon D70 had 3fps, near as damnd to the D3100.

But here is the question

Q. If my cameras had not been stolen would I have bought these

A. No. I would have carried on with what I have.

Oh and I bought my Renault Grand Scenic 1.9D new, four years ago, Will I replace it soon, no, what for?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back