• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera maximum £500 (1 Viewer)

MrBiffa

Hi I have been searching for a camera for a while and haven't managed to a nail a favourite. Is their the perfect birdwatching camera??? If so could your recommend one please...

I'm loving my Canon SX50. Compact enough to take anywhere and with a 50x zoom,
Gives DSLR like performance. 0cm focus is fantastic for macro shots as well. Under £300...

I don't think there is a perfect camera for any purpose - all have strengths and weaknesses. For birding one camera may have a great zoom for capturing distant birds perched on trees but another may have a much better AF and faster shot speed for birds in flight.

What I did when I bought a new bridge in March was to read various reviews of all models in my price range, compare Which? ratings and other ratings, made a comparison list/spreadsheet and picked whichever came out best, all things considered. Incidentally it was the Canon SX50. Is it perfect for birding? No, the shot speed can be a little slow. But the zoom is magnificent, as is picture quality. Taking time to compose a shot can get round the speed issue but can't compensate for poor zoom or quality. Am I happy with my choice? Absolutely!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back