• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Point and shoot Ultra zoom on the market? (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Hi guys, I'm upgrading my Camera and still can't afford to go DLSR yet -way too poor :)
So, I was wondering what is the best Ultra Zoom Camera out there right now in terms of Image Quality and Noise .

thanks

Nick

BenBirding said:
Check out the Panasonic Lumix FZ series. Most have 12x(optical) zoom, Image Stablizer, and Leica glass.

thankyou - I have been looking at these quite a bit actually - I know that more megapixels usually means better image quality - so I may opt for something around 5 or higher..

what about the 6 mp Olympus 500 SP Uz ? anyone here own one or tried it ?

Only thing about the Lumix series is that a lot of reviews say that some of them have a lot of digital noise (e.g. the FZ30).

Panasonic FZ 20

nikovich said:
Hi guys, I'm upgrading my Camera and still can't afford to go DLSR yet -way too poor :)
So, I was wondering what is the best Ultra Zoom Camera out there right now in terms of Image Quality and Noise .

thanks

Nick
Nick
I have the FZ20 and am very pleased. Yes there is some noise, but I do not think any more than other cameras in this category. I have heard that there is much more dig noise on the FZ30. There are also good prices now for the FZ20 being as the FZ30 is out. I think around $570.00 CDN. I paid $750.00 less than a year ago.

I can send you pics if you want, judge for yourself.

Med said:
Nick
I have the FZ20 and am very pleased. Yes there is some noise, but I do not think any more than other cameras in this category. I have heard that there is much more dig noise on the FZ30. There are also good prices now for the FZ20 being as the FZ30 is out. I think around $570.00 CDN. I paid $750.00 less than a year ago.

I can send you pics if you want, judge for yourself.

thankyou - I have been thinking about this Camera for awhile now and it is in my price range :)

Not having a go at you Med or IanF, but just a bit concerned that the suggestion on BirdForum in several places that the FZ30 is somehow worse than the earlier FZ models just might be misleading :h?:
This page and the following from this review :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page11.asp
suggest to me that the FZ30 is no worse than the FZ20 re. noise at ISO80 and is hence superior because of extra pixels. At ISO400 the FZ30 looks noisier at 100% but after resizing down to the 5MP of FZ20 it looks no worse.

One might well question such "laboratory" testing. However, must also say the impression I have had from many users at dpreview is that they have been pleased with the upgrade from the FZ10/20/15 to FZ30. While the picture quality is not significantly improved perhaps, and certainly not compared to the jump to DSLR with suitable lens, I haven't heard complaints that it is worse. And the ergonomics are certainly praised as hugely improved over the earlier models.

Having used neither camera am not qualified to offer judgement on this. There are however plenty of FZ20 vs FZ30 threads on dpreview where users of both cameras have offered their findings and would probably be prepared to do so again if asked.

Just a thought.

I'm on model 3 now. First was a Fugi s5000 (very good) not too sophisticated and a bland lens. Number 2 was a Kodak 740.Good glass linked with slow shutter lag and processing. Not what a bird photog wants. I finally met the dream. The Canon poweshot S2IS. Very fast,great glass, The digicII processor. Very full of features including an inervalometer (time lapse photography) setting that I'd likely never use. Nice macro abilities. I like it very much. The new model S3 is coming soon. Same rig but up to 6MP and more ISO settings.
Sam

Hi Nikovich
I too have the S2 and am pleased. Previously I had a film slr and went for the s2 because I didn't want to carry around so much stuff. The s2 is almost pocketable, I say almost because you need a large coat pocket. I read loads of reviews before buying it, dpreview.com is good and there are several old threads here worth looking for. Bird forum members provide good advice, I have found. Comparing it to my old slr, I have to say the image quality is not as good but with all the post processing you can do now it is possible to make improvements. If you type canon s2 into the gallery search you will see examples of bird photography with this camera. I would agree with most peoples' views that this camera isn't so good in low light, by that I mean winter in UK, but I guess this is in common with all the other superzooms. I think there are now bargains on this camera around because canon has announced the s3 due in April, I think. Good luck in your camera choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back