• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amateur Review of Yosemite 6x30 (1 Viewer)

BrightIdea

Preface:
Let me start by saying that I am a newcomer to quality binocs and wouldnt doubt if I had the least experience looking through good glass of anyone on BF.

That said, I have a good idea in my "minds eye" for what I like and dont like. Of course I am not (yet) familiar with the terminology or myriad technical aspects. My frame of reference is also embarrassingly limited to Vortex Vipers (which I deem to be the best I have ever looked through, ever), burris & leupold rifle scopes, a number of low end bushnell porro products from my youth, Monarchs at the store, and a dismally poor simmons spotter. I also occasionally use microscopes in my job, and in "blind tests" can ID the Accuscopes vs Leica's vs Beck and Kassels just about every time. To my credit, I do find that I can articulate and identify characteristics that I dont like when viewing lower quality binocs and 'scopes.

The 6x30's:
I just bought a set of 6x30 Yosemite's on ebay advertised as gently used in "as new" condition. I bought them for my young son based upon many threads both here and on a hunting forum. It seemed they are a highly recommended choice for young viewers (IPD) who want good glass at a great price. I chose 6x30 for two reasons- I already have larger 8x42's, and I figured hand shake for my little 4y/o would be less noticeable at 6x.

Rarely have I been as pleased with a product as with these little bino's. I like the clear image, to my untrained eye it remains clear to the edges. I doubt this is the case, but I cant see the blurring.

I especially like what I think is called the depth of field. Images appear almost extra-3-D. This is difficult for me to describe, other than they have uber-depth perception. I find this phenominon to be even more so than in my larger/more costly Vipers (which, by the way, I am utterly enchanted with).

Size and weight are excellent. They are not as bright as my larger Vipers, however I didnt expect them to be. The difference is not earth shattering either, and I'd say that my impression is that they are "really bright and sharp", for what thats worth.

Negative's and nit-picking:
I'd like to have objective covers included, and eye cups that stay out a little more securely. As is there are no lens covers.

Cold weather focusing was brutal, however from what I am reading, that comes with the territory. Focusing is jsut a little less comfortable that the Vipers. This could merely be ergonomics of the wheel.

While looking straight ahead, I find that I have trouble moving my eyes to look at the edges. I see black when I do this. I had thought I would be able to move my eyes around a little more in the FOV than I can. This isnt an issue, however.

Flimsy cheap case. On the other hand, I'd rather them put $ into the glass than a good case!

This next part is a bit interesting... They are so small and light, that I almost wish they were just a little smaller so that I could use them as pocket binocs. They are really almost there... almost.

(On this last point, how do the Yosemite's stack up to the Katmai's in terms of use in low light, clarity, and this intangible 3-d quality? I've never held the Katmai's, however on paper they seem like they'd be my ultimate little pocket binoc that I could Literally take anywhere- something I can not do with the vipers and can almost do with the Yo's.)

Minor negatives and nitpicking aside, overall I am extremely pleased and feel these will serve excellent triple duty as my sons first foray into glassing, a dark woods hunting glass, and a great set of family bino's to view the numerous backyard critters.

Enormous thumbs up on these, especially for the price.

I will likely buy others as gifts in the future.

So now my question is, what will be equivalent optics in a roof prism design the size of the katmais for under $250?

Quoted above:

"This next part is a bit interesting... They are so small and light, that I almost wish they were just a little smaller so that I could use them as pocket binocs. They are really almost there... almost.

(On this last point, how do the Yosemite's stack up to the Katmai's in terms of use in low light, clarity, and this intangible 3-d quality? I've never held the Katmai's, however on paper they seem like they'd be my ultimate little pocket binoc that I could Literally take anywhere- something I can not do with the vipers and can almost do with the Yo's.)"

"So now my question is, what will be equivalent optics in a roof prism design the size of the katmais for under $250?"

I may be able to be of some help with your ? above. I have the Leopold Yosemite's and the Leupold 6x32 Katmai's along with the Vortex Viper 6x32's and I also have a pair of the Bausch and Lomb 7x26 custom compacts. I also had a pair of Vortex viper 8x42, which I recently sold-so I have an idea of what you are use to for comparison purpose.

Optically, they (the Yo's) are very, very good. The Yo's are better than any less than $100 pair of bino's should be. They are probably truly the best deal that I see in optics today. That being said-they are not perfect and no one would or should claim that they are. You have mentioned some of their faults above.

The Katmai is in my mind a better all around binocular; and it should be since it costs about 4x what the yo's do. It is optically a fine instrument- it has a great field of view and is very clear, ie: -good resolution and color clarity. It will be just as good or better in low light than the Yo. As far as the 3-D quality-that is something the porro's are known for. It (the katmai's) is the smallest 32mm bino that I am aware of. They are truly almost compact in size. They are very close to the size of the venerable 7x26 B&L Custom Compact. The Vortex Viper (6x32) is definitely bigger than the Katmai's. I will try and post some pics tomorrow of all of these side by side.

As far as optics go, the 6x32 Vortex Viper are to my mind and eye optically better than the 6x32 Katmai. But it also costs almost $200 more; although I am not sure that it is that much ($$) of a difference better-but to me is is optically superior.

The Katmai's are a very fine optical instrument-it got first place in the mid-price ($200 -$500) range of bino's tested a few years ago at a Cornell school of Ornithology review of bino's. See article below-

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Even though I think the Katmai's are great; since I have bought the Viper 6x32's recently I have decided to sell my Katmai's. I have not put them up for as of yet. I just do not need quite this many bino's in this size. If I did not already have a compact size-the B&L 7x26 Custom compact I would probably be keeping the Katmai's. It is probably a better binocular than the B&L, but my heart has a fondness for the custom compact.

As to your last ? above-I do not know of any

** "equivalent optics in a roof prism design the size of the katmais for under $250?"

In that category they tend to stand alone.

Brightidea - Have some advice for you on getting your Yo objectives covered. Because they are a porro glass, they ergonomically are perfect for after market covers that rotate laterally (inward) out of the way, contrary to the tethered covers that dangle after the objectives are uncovered. Butler Creek makes rifle scope covers of various sizes that will slide over your barrels. Sure, you need two them, but they are quickly engaged and disengaged. All my user porro binoculars are equipped with covers of this nature, and I have found no better system for convenience and protection of porro objectives.
John

Thanks very much for your insight and advice. I'll look into the covers for the yosemite's, I think that'd be a great idea.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back