• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fed up with punctures (1 Viewer)

I wonder if the fact the tires on my bike were not properly inflated that caused the uncomfortableness on yesterdays ride.... Tires now pumped up as much as I could (be bothered) by hand (can just push the sidewalls inwards). Will find out tomorrow... Oh, using a mini hand pump...

Possibly it did cause some discomfort, yet I've found that when they are pumped up correctly, it can make for a bumpy ride.

Unless you've got muscles like Popeye, I don't think it's possible to get even half way to the correct psi with a hand pump. Whether or not it's worth investing in a footpump, depends on how bothered you can be to change your inner tube sometime soon.......

Last edited:
My friend at work did Lands End to John O'Groats on his bike last year and never got a single puncture, he only uses a hand pump.

Mick

My friend at work did Lands End to John O'Groats on his bike last year and never got a single puncture, he only uses a hand pump.

Mick

I guess it's a combination of tyre pressure and quality of tyres / inner tube etc., plus a dose of good luck.

Possibly it did cause some discomfort, yet I've found that when they are pumped up correctly, it can make for a bumpy ride.

Unless you've got muscles like Popeye, I don't think it's possible to get even half way to the correct psi with a hand pump. Whether or not it's worth investing in a footpump, depends on how bothered you can be to change your inner tube sometime soon.......

I'll let you all know if it did make a difference.. after I've fitted some new gear shifters (I'm no longer fond of the grip shift ones that came with the bike, they hurt when used)

I've just discovered that the bike shop down my road will pump up tyres for free with a motorised pump & pressure gauge; it might be worth investigating shops near you.

I've just discovered that the bike shop down my road will pump up tyres for free with a motorised pump & pressure gauge; it might be worth investigating shops near you.

That probably is good advice if you don't have a decent pump. I've already bought myself a pump, which is useful because it means I can check the tyres and top them up before I go out every time.

My 14 year old son has a BMX, I did the same thing as you putting a couple of layers of electrical tape round the rim covering the spokes were they come in contact with the iner tube thought it was a good idea. He got puntures left right and centre replaced tubes and tyres but still got punctures then realised that the edges of the tape were like razor sharp and stiff and it cut the tube so took the tape off all together and replased it with a material band he's had nomore puntures for for ages. It seems if the bike is stood and water gets in the tyres the tape was getting wet and causing it to go stiff and sharp.

Hope this helps.

P H

Here in Finland I do all my birding trips by bicycle also during the winter months. That's 9000-10000 km per annum. I haven't had any significant problems with punctures. My bike is a Crescent Trekking, I only have a hand pump and never carry spare tubes with me. On average my inner tubes last 5000 km. A couple of times they only lasted for a 100 km but I suspect those were "Monday specimens". During the winter I have never had a puncture and the explanation is that I use winter tyres with spikes and those have a very strong stucture. By far the worst roads are the forest roads (for logging trucks) covered by sharp stones but I have learned to avoid them (and fortunately there are not many such legs).
Nevertheless I have also ordered a foot pump to increase average speed (it doesn't seem likely that I could decrease my puncture rate).

Heikki

Hi Bobby,

glad to see the problem appears to be fixed now

but just my 2p worth.

when you come to needing new tyres i'd thoroughly recommend Specialized Armadillo or Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - both will cost a bit more than Halfords tyres but they do have a good reputation for puncture resistance (though unfortunately nothing's puncture proof).

Forget those air-free tyre things, they're useless

As for a pump - i've never managed to get a hand-pump up to it's claimed max. pressure so wouldn't even bother with one now, personally i wouldn't go anywhere without one of these (you put your foot on the base and pull the cord to pump your tyre up) , and carry a spare tube

I know there have been manufacturing problems with some tubes made in the far east recently, one of the culprits seems to be a make of tube that has the words Hang Shen Tube (with various spellings) stamped on the side of it.

good luck, and good cycling

...These Kevlar tyres are nigh on impossible to get on (which is one reason why it's such a pain getting a puncture). I have wondered if I am causing the problem when change the inner tube.

hi again, thought i put this in my earlier reply but it seems to have disappeared somewhere

anyhow, yes, both the tyres i quoted are s*ds to get on when new(ish) so you'll need tyre levers. To make sure you don't ride off with a pinched tube there's an old trick ... pump it up to about 1/2 - 3/4 full then let the air out before pumping it back up again, to full pressure. That will make sure the tube is sitting where it should be on the rim and you won't (shouldn't !) have bit of it pinched by the tyre

good luck. good cycling

Bought new inners today.. as well as new grip gear shifters (more comfortable/easier to use than the old ones) Valve had gone compltley on the rear tube. I inflated it as much as I could be hand, untill I could only just push the sidewalls in with my finger and thumb. Rides rather bumpy now. suspention is rubbish.. but I can put up with that.

.....when you come to needing new tyres i'd thoroughly recommend Specialized Armadillo or Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - both will cost a bit more than Halfords tyres but they do have a good reputation for puncture resistance (though unfortunately nothing's puncture proof)....

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll certainly be looking for better quality next time I have to replace the existing tyres. I guess that there is no simple solution in battle against punctures.

Carerra Subway Wheels are Faulty

Mate, my sister is working in London England. I been to visit her from here, spent the winter there last year (that's the English summer).
She got a Carerra Subway bike. It come from big bike superstore called Halfords, bike is black with 14 gears and twistgrip. Wheels are black rims with silver sides, right? Hubs are quick release.
Yes, she also get puncture every time she takes out the bike. Bike had Kenda tyres on it, but other same bikes in shop had Cheng Shin brand.
After a few month she was so upset with bike that she wont go out anymore. Also tyres were such a tight fit that it was terrible to get them off, and needed levers. Then they were so tight that the tyres couldnt be put back on the proper way with bare hands, so had to use levers and nipped tubes again, making more puncture!!
SO...heres what to do: Buy two new tyres immediately. We put on Continental 26x1.6 Slicks. They are 20 english pounds but come complete with inner tubes. ALSO....you must buy new thick rim tapes to protect inside the tub from the sharp metal in the wheel rim. Then you can more easily take tyres on/off because they fit properly, not like the faulty under-sized ones that come with the bike!
One more thing to do: now you must take a close look at the inside of the rims. You will see that they are double skinned, yes? The spoke heads are deep down inside a 10mm hole that is cut through the inner skin of the rim. It is the SHARP EDGE of this hole which bursts your tube when the tyre is inflated hard, because the tube blebs through the hole like blowing a bubble-gum bubble and the edge of the hole slices the rubber.
You MUST go around all 36 of the holes on each wheel with a Stanley knife blade and take a shaving off the sharp edge of the hole to smooth off. Afterwards you must take the VACUUM CLEANER with it's crevice tool tube fitted and suck out all the silver metal shavings, drilling swarf and particles of aluminium that are trapped in the 'tunnel' between the two skins. These sharp fragments will also be puncturing the tubes from inside. Both my sister's wheels were full of liitle sharp bits. Clean them all out carefully whilst rotating the wheel so they all fall out. Then fit you new extra thick rim tapes. The originals supplied aren't good enough. You could even fit the new ones then put the originals on top as well.
And that's it. Big problem, difficult cure, but worth it. Sister's now done 1000's of miles and never had another puncture.
Now, what about the chain catching when it's in 7th gear...... (yes there's a fix for that design fault too.....)
all best wish Rewi

As for a pump - i've never managed to get a hand-pump up to it's claimed max. pressure so wouldn't even bother with one now, personally i wouldn't go anywhere without one of these (you put your foot on the base and pull the cord to pump your tyre up) , and carry a spare tube

/QUOTE]

They look great, Karl.....I notice they mention only Mountain Bikes, ATB´s and "Leisure Bikes" on their site....do they only serve Schraeder Valves, or can you use them on High-Pressure Racing-Type Valves also?

.....Yes, she also get puncture every time she takes out the bike. Bike had Kenda tyres on it, but other same bikes in shop had Cheng Shin brand.
After a few month she was so upset with bike that she wont go out anymore. Also tyres were such a tight fit that it was terrible to get them off, and needed levers. Then they were so tight that the tyres couldnt be put back on the proper way with bare hands, so had to use levers and nipped tubes again, making more puncture!!.....

Thanks for the advice. I did wonder if the problem was a design fault with the bike. One time when I was in the shop discussing the problem with a member of staff, another customer was waiting and she said her husband once had exactly the same problem with his Carerra Subway.

They look great, Karl.....I notice they mention only Mountain Bikes, ATB´s and "Leisure Bikes" on their site....do they only serve Schraeder Valves, or can you use them on High-Pressure Racing-Type Valves also?

Hi, apologies, that'll teach me for not looking properly at a link before posting it ! - they've changed their range slightly from last time i looked at it. They do 2 types of bike pump now - Cyclair Rapid (up to 80 psi for mtb's etc) and the Cyclaire Plus (up to 120 psi). Don't know about the Rapid version, and cant tell from the picture whether it does both types of valve, but certainly the Plus version does Presta valves ie. the high pressure racing-type valves.

If you click onto the Buy One page they are described slightly better than the link i posted.

Without wanting to sound snobbish Bobby as its not meant that way, maybe its worth you investigating local independant bike shops near you if & when you get a new bike or need this one fixed. Halfords is ok for car parts and sat-nav etc but they do have a reputation for their bicycle sales & maintenance that ranges from indifferent to appalling.

.....Without wanting to sound snobbish Bobby as its not meant that way, maybe its worth you investigating local independant bike shops near you if & when you get a new bike or need this one fixed. Halfords is ok for car parts and sat-nav etc but they do have a reputation for their bicycle sales & maintenance that ranges from indifferent to appalling.

It's a fair point. I must admit I've not been particularly impressed by my dealings with Halfords. That said, I do actually like the bike. It's light weight, and a nice design. I enjoy riding it. If I can just get over all these punctures, I'll be happy (It's now about 8 rides since my last puncture, so I'm hopeful).

The problem with local independant bike shops is the same as the problem with all local shops - they're not open in the evenings, and you have to park three streets away from the shop. Halfords is like a supermarket - open late every night and at the weekends, and above all convenient, so it's far and away the easiest option. But perhaps now I'm paying the price. Certainly if I get many more problems, I will be heading for the local.

Thanks

..............certainly the Plus version does Presta valves ie. the high pressure racing-type valves.

If you click onto the Buy One page they are described slightly better than the link i posted.
Sincerest thanks, Karl, I'll order a truckload!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back