• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Torches and planes (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anybody tell me what the situation is regarding torches and planes? Is it best to carry them in hand luggage or suitcase? I have quite a heavy duty torch. I don't want my suitcase trashed while security try to work out if it really is a torch. It's the battery which concerns me most.

Thanks

Hi,
Can anybody tell me what the situation is regarding torches and planes? Is it best to carry them in hand luggage or suitcase? I have quite a heavy duty torch. I don't want my suitcase trashed while security try to work out if it really is a torch. It's the battery which concerns me most.

Thanks
I'd be inclined to put it in the suitcase, I know of a guy here who had his mag-lite torch confiscated some years back as it was in hand-luggage. Admittedly, it was like a truncheon! Also, the battery in hand-luggage might raise a few eyebrows when it appears on the monitor.

I work for Energizer and have traveled the world with batteries in my carry-on and checked baggage and never had an issue. If you are traveling with a reasonable number of batteries you'll be fine. If you throw a case of them in your bag you'll likely get questioned.

Is the flashlight one of those heavy, robust, models that could be construed as a weapon, then I'd throw it in my checked luggage. I carry a small, lightweight penlight that uses a couple of AAA's and haven't had an issue. A colleague had a 2 AA aluminum body Maglight confiscated.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back