• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica 2006 (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Yo All,

Planning on going to Costa Rica for Birds, wildlife, flowers etc in March 2006 for 2 weeks. Bewildering selection of guided tours from both sides of pond. Anyone out there with any recomendations on tour companies, itineries and places?

Stewart J. :egghead:

Stewart J. said:
Yo All,

Planning on going to Costa Rica for Birds, wildlife, flowers etc in March 2006 for 2 weeks. Bewildering selection of guided tours from both sides of pond. Anyone out there with any recomendations on tour companies, itineries and places?

Stewart J. :egghead:
Hi Stewart: I'm leaving Jan 2005 on an Elderhostel tour coverin flora and fauna, and cultures of indigenous peoples in Costa Rica and Panama. Elderhostel is an organization featuring quote, Adventures in Life Long Learning, end quote. While there are no age parameters, most of the participants will be 55 or over. You may not be interested in them per se, but a trip to their web site will show what nature preserves, national parks,etc they feel important. My trip , no. 9206, originates in San Jose, embarks on a small cuise ship (formerly the Linblad Explorer) does islands, nation parks, Panama Canal, etc. etc. www.elderhostel.org
their facilitator for Latin America and Africa is Holbrok Travel in Gainsburg, Florida. www.holbrooktravel.com/elderhostel .

Good luck. I know I have as much fun planning a trip as I do going on one.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for reply, interesting site which provided us with a lot of info especially on some of the hotels which are also used by other tour companies.

My other half does all the research, planning and organising as I work away from home for over half the year and like you she really enjoys doing it.

Incidently the age thing wouldnt matter all in our party qualify.

Cheers from Hadrians Wall Country

Stewart

B :) B :) B :)

Stewart,
You might also do some thread searches here on BF. I know there are several on Costa Rica including where folks stayed, bird guides, etc. Also, one of our members, "Motmot" has lived in Costa Rica and birded extensively there. Might want to PM him.

We've been to C. Rica three times but only one real birding trip. That was Monteverde, a Cloud Forest which goes right up to the continental divide. We used a guide named Gary Diller who lives close by there in Santa Helena (I think). He was good.

We also did a short trip to Quepos to see the Manuel Antonio NP. We stayed at the Mariposa lodge there (fantastic place).

And last trip was to Arenal to see the volcano. We stayed at the Mount Arenal Lodge and can highly recommend that. Great views of the very active volcano and some good birds to boot!

The field guide to get is the Birds of Costa Rica by Stiles and Skutch.

good luck,

Yo Chris

Nice to hear from you again still the diplomat I see, aye auld and experienced (especially in taking good piccys) the missus still teaching you how to take them??? Are you coming out to Bulgaria in May ???

Stewart

:flyaway: :flyaway:

Hi to Dave & Aquilla

Thanks for your replies guys it all makes for mouthwatering stuff and we are following up your leads.

Stewart & Marjorie

B :) B :) B :)

Stewart J. said:
Yo Chris

Nice to hear from you again still the diplomat I see, aye auld and experienced (especially in taking good piccys) the missus still teaching you how to take them??? Are you coming out to Bulgaria in May ???

Stewart

:flyaway: :flyaway:
Nah, can't afford it mate.
Buying another camera and lens, then going to South Africa in November.

Hi Stewart
There are a couple of site guides to Costa Rica that are very useful. I have included below the brief summaries that I have on my website. I bought both books when I was in Costa Rica, so I don't know how hard they will be to find outside of the country. Denis Rogers runs Cinclus Tours, which I think has a website. Aaron Sekarak runs a small hotel not far from La Selva.
I hope this is of some use. However you organise it, great birding is guaranteed.
Tom

Rogers, D. W. (1996) Site guides: Costa Rica and Panama. Cinclus Publications.

This is a very useful guide to Costa Rica. It includes a number of sites that are not included in Sekarak and I have used both books regularly when planning my Costa Rican trips. I have still never visited Panama, but I guess that the book will be equally useful there. It has a useful summary table covering 27 pages, which gives information on the status of each species in various regions of the two countries. This and the index, which Sekarak does not have, help to locate the sites to see any species that you are particularly after.

Sekerak, A. D. (1996) A travel and site guide to birds of Costa Rica. Lone Pine Publishing.

This guide covers most of the major sites in Costa Rica. I’ve spent about 11 weeks traveling in the country and I’ve found this book to be very useful throughout and it is the main guide that I have used to plan my trips. The maps are particularly good. It includes a useful set of tables that give information on each site. Another very useful section is a table, extending over 5 pages, that gives information on most of the Costa Rican Specialties. This is helpful to plan out the important target birds, especially if you are not very familiar with the species in the country.

Hi Guys

Many thanks to TonyC and TomJenner for the info, good report Tony and great website Tom.

Chris, So Africa's boring Bulgarias tons better, you havent broke that camera already ?? or is it one for each of you?

Great to hear from all you chaps, we really appreciate the replies

Greetings from Hadrians Wall
Stewart & Marjorie

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back