• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird App (1 Viewer)

I contacted them by email about Android and they say they have no plans for one. Very disappointing - I've told them so. :-@

I contacted them by email about Android and they say they have no plans for one. Very disappointing - I've told them so. :-@

In that case I'm glad I scanned my old copy to PDF.

Disappointing that they've chosen to supply just the Iphone/Ipad. I suspect it will be too small for the Iphone's tiny screen and doubt that Ipad users will venture out into the field with their overpriced tablets - even if they've enough time in between queuing for new hardware upgrades or moaning about how crap the latest version of IOS is ;-)

yes, and that dodgy "aviasoft" one that surfaced on here a while back does the trick on android devices lol.
Works well in the field on both smartphone and 7" tablet... allegedly

I downloaded the 'Birds of Britain' app a few weeks ago and find it very useful on my Android phone. With over 250 species detailed it certainly satisfies me.

In that case I'm glad I scanned my old copy to PDF.

Disappointing that they've chosen to supply just the Iphone/Ipad. I suspect it will be too small for the Iphone's tiny screen and doubt that Ipad users will venture out into the field with their overpriced tablets - even if they've enough time in between queuing for new hardware upgrades or moaning about how crap the latest version of IOS is ;-)

Some of us chose the Ipad mini to have something manageable in the field ;)

Niels

Indeed. How could anyone venture outdoors with expensive binoculars, spotting scopes, etc?

Developing for Android has two serious problems:

1) Too much version chaos.

2) Android application purchasing statistics are dismal.

Hi all the Collins Bird Guide app will be launched at British Bird Fair . 15th - 17th August 2014 . iphone only . Definately no plans for Android version any time soon . This is because its easier to copy files over to Android , whereas all iphone stuff has to go through apple and itunes .

Rik

Last edited:
Very unfortunate that no android version to be compiled. Not all of us are Apple fans. Looks like Apple are exercising their monopolistic attitude again.

No droid = no sale. This non-sense is getting old, droids are the largest portion of the market share. As a musician, the apple thing gets even more annoying. I've never understood how people can cater to market portions <10% (or in phones <15%), and feel justified.

We had a taste, and demonstration of the Collins Bird App at the Bird Fair yesterday - excellent value we thought, and we where not disappointed

Sadly it is limited to what you can use the application on ie I-phone/pad, it is very impressive at £12.50 or so (Birdfair offer)

Hopefully it will be available on all software soon... even Kindle LOL

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Looks/sounds great on my iPad. If you're waiting for an Android version, I'd be surprised they won't do one eventually. Bit like waiting for Windows to boot up........please....wait .....roundy roundy thing.
:)

No droid = no sale. This non-sense is getting old, droids are the largest portion of the market share. As a musician, the apple thing gets even more annoying. I've never understood how people can cater to market portions <10% (or in phones <15%), and feel justified.
Maybe they could do an offer of a free iPad with each sale? o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back