• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which place in Europe has the longest list? (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi, this article speculates that Heligoland might be Europe's spot with most species observed (432). I wonder if that is so indeed, or if there other spots with longer lists...
Anyone made a sort of ranking of location lists?

Firstly, you need to start with what is the definition of "location", it does have a rather big bearing on the subject IMO!

Shane

I think it obviously means the small island of Helgoland in the North Sea! Its a known birding hotspot like Spurn, Shetland, or Gibralter. If you want to count countries only then I assume that Dalat probably already has that list;)

I think it obviously means the small island of Helgoland in the North Sea! Its a known birding hotspot like Spurn, Shetland, or Gibralter.
Well, Shetland has a longer list, but it's ~150km north to south, and comprises multiple islands totalling ~1500km2. Hardly a comparable "spot"!

Last edited:
Well, Shetland has a longer list, but it's ~150km north to south, and comprises multiple islands totalling ~1500km2. Hardly a comparable "spot"!

Ok I see, size of "location" is indeed rather decisive... Helgoland is a basically a small rock, and I think for the list they count the waters of a 20 km perimeter as well. But applying that size to other locations wouldn't make much sense.

Best we forget that question and back to our own lists :)

By your measure, the UK is not comparable to say, Russia for example. It is still a country. By this standard, the same as Helgoland or Shetland are bird hotspots within national borders.

By your measure, the UK is not comparable to say, Russia for example. It is still a country. By this standard, the same as Helgoland or Shetland are bird hotspots within national borders.
Florian used the word 'spot'. Fair Isle would be a fair (pardon the pun) comparison. Shetland is arguably a (hot!?) region rather than a hotspot.

Fair point, Richard, I was refering Shane's use of the word "location", but I should have quote that, mea culpa.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back