• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone been to this lodge in Panama? (1 Viewer)

I've been to the Canopy Tower (for breakfast only), and the place is fantastic! The setting on a hill in the middle of the rainforest is just amazing, and the roof deck at canopy level really lets you take full advantage of that. I've never stayed there overnight (my mother-in-law owns a house in Panama City, so no need to), but I've heard from many people that the guides are excellent and the food is outstanding. I go birding in Panama and the Canal Zone once a year, and birding is unbelievable: birds are literally everywhere, roads are excellent so sites are easily reached, and you will add considerably to your life list. Pipeline Road on a good day can yield Rufous-vented Ground-cuckoo, Sunbittern, Agami Heron, Ocellated Antbird, Spectacled Antpitta, 3 species of Manakins, 3 species of Motmots, 5 species of Trogon, Great Jacamar, Great Tinamou, ... even Harpy Eagle.

The Canopy Tower, due to its unique location, canopy-level roof deck, great guides, etc. must be one of the best birding lodges in the neotropics. Don't hesitate to book!!

Cedric

I've been to the Canopy Tower (for breakfast only), and the place is fantastic! The setting on a hill in the middle of the rainforest is just amazing, and the roof deck at canopy level really lets you take full advantage of that. I've never stayed there overnight (my mother-in-law owns a house in Panama City, so no need to), but I've heard from many people that the guides are excellent and the food is outstanding. I go birding in Panama and the Canal Zone once a year, and birding is unbelievable: birds are literally everywhere, roads are excellent so sites are easily reached, and you will add considerably to your life list. Pipeline Road on a good day can yield Rufous-vented Ground-cuckoo, Sunbittern, Agami Heron, Ocellated Antbird, Spectacled Antpitta, 3 species of Manakins, 3 species of Motmots, 5 species of Trogon, Great Jacamar, Great Tinamou, ... even Harpy Eagle.

The Canopy Tower, due to its unique location, canopy-level roof deck, great guides, etc. must be one of the best birding lodges in the neotropics. Don't hesitate to book!!

Cedric

Thanks Cedric! I just gotta get my passport. That is the major hold up here. They said they will hold a spot for me for 2 weeks, but Im not sure Im going to make it as I am waiting on a new copy of my birth certificate which should be here in a couple days. Then I gotta find one of those rush passport online places.

I think I am going to do this though. They are telling me I will probably end up with 300 new birds because I have never been outside of the U.S.

We were there (and their sister facility "Canopy Lodge") about 18 months ago. Fantastic location for birding. We saw 192 species in 6 days.

Here's a link to the Panama Trip Report.

If you go, you will see some fantastic birds and scenery and meet some pretty good folks!

We were there (and their sister facility "Canopy Lodge") about 18 months ago. Fantastic location for birding. We saw 192 species in 6 days.

Here's a link to the Panama Trip Report.

If you go, you will see some fantastic birds and scenery and meet some pretty good folks!

Wow! Very inspirational Dave! Well I am pretty convinced this is the trip. Just gotta get the airline ticket and I think I'm there. It seems like the best bang for the buck I have come across for the green season package.

Ive went to canopy tower for a week. Its unbeliveable the first bird i saw was a blue dacnis pair followed by a group of toucans. There is an incredible observation tower at the top. Its where i saw the harpy eagle in my avatar! If you read the descriptions of pipeline road it says we even saw a harpy eagle once I WAS THERE!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back