• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weight allowance (1 Viewer)

Iceberg slim

Fly by night
United Kingdom
After a holiday Experience this year i think we as a birding Group should try and exert some pressure on aviation Authorities, to allow "Birders" extra baggage alowance.my Friend who is a diver said that diving has now been excepted as a sport and they can take 25kg.
The Signicant number of"Birders"carrying heavy Camera/optical equipment should merit this,considering the Eco/tourism value to th travel industry,when you get clobbered for Excess weight at the start of your trip it seriously starts off on a bad footing.
comments welcome

Martin,
At least they have more or less abandoned the weight limit for hand luggage. My long veiw, binos and camera always go in this. I am far to scared of loss/dammage to put it in the hold. So I can just about cram it in a bag small enough to go in those hand luggage measurer things but boy it can be way heavier than the old style 5kg weight limits.
Though going through the x-ray machine always leaves me sweating. A long view can look a lot like a dangerous weapon. I know i could inflicked a far worse injury with a long view than a pair of nail sissors!
For the time being I am just glad I can take these items as hand luggage.
Lulie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back