• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Hearing reports of an influx of broad bordered bee hawks along the North Norfolk coast...at least a dozen feeding on viper's bugloss at the northern end of Wells harbour opposite the public car park near the lifeboat station.

No joy with Swallowtails at Strumpshaw today 1200-1520, rather too cloudy and windy. Just typical after a warm sunny week at work! Just one Norfolk Hawker, which we saw on our return to the car in the overflow carpark. Good display of orchids, Common Lizards, Bank Vole and a Grass Snake.

My first White Admiral of the year along with Ringlet, Meadow Brown and many Speckled Woods today along the old Roydon railway line.

Lovely pair of Magpie Moths and presumably one of their caterpillars on the shaded side of a bungalow wall during the daytime in Long Stratton on 13th. My moth trap (bathroom with light left on!) produced some nice moths including four firsts on 14th/15th - Old Lady, Small Fanfoot, Common White Wave and Clouded Border (beautiful). Also Swallowtail and Straw Dot which are more regular.

Had a walk around Warham Fort yesterday, !st time i've been there won't be the last,and had 4 small torts,5 or 6 meadow brown, 2 common blue and a small skipper. When should the Chalkhill blues be about?

The earliest record I've had is 15th july back in 2011. I wouldn't be too surprised if we broke that record this year, but I'd be amazed if it was seen before July.

Thanks for the reply. What about Silver Studded blue. Are they about the same time?
One last question,are there any sites for Marbled whites in Norfolk?

Silver -studded are out at all their sites: buxton heath, east ruston and kelling heath.
The nearest Marbled colony is in cambridgeshire I think

Dark Green Frit

Lovely fresh example at Winterton this morning, as well as lots of Small Heaths, Ringlets and Meadow Browns.

Attachments

• DG Frit.jpg
    DG Frit.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Ringlet.jpg
    Ringlet.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Brian.jpg
    Brian.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 74
that's the first ringlet I've heard of. I think that just leaves essex skipper, white-letter hairstreak, Silver-washed Frit, Gatekeeper, grayling, and chalk-hill blue to emerge : unless I've missed reports. (we ought to have essex and gatekeeper out by now, given everything else.)

Last edited:
Strumpshaw

Lots of Ringlets. Meadow Browns, Small Torts, Speckled Woods and Gatekeepers yesterday, as well as two Swallowtails still....

Attachments

• STAIL.jpg
    STAIL.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 53
  • ST RECEPTION 2.jpg
    ST RECEPTION 2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back