• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Divers off Islay (1 Viewer)

Wizzle

Seen off coast near Bowmore, Islay. Very poor photo but are they Black-throated divers?

GND's.. This post apparently not accepting replies!

Attachments

• DSCF0110.jpg
    DSCF0110.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I'd say so. The bird on the right shows a white patch on the rear flanks above the water-line, which is good for Black-throated, the bill is held like that species (unlike the uptitled and thinner bill of Red-throated) and Great Northern would show a white half collar on the lower neck as well as being heftier. I'm rusty on divers, but the overall build and plumage pattern suggests Black-throated.

Last edited:
I'd say so. The bird on the right shows a white patch on the rear flanks above the water-line, which is good for Black-throated, the bill is held like that species (unlike the uptitled and thinner bill of Red-throated) and Great Northern would show a white half collar on the lower neck as well as being heftier. I'm rusty on divers, but the overall build and plumage pattern suggests Black-throated.

I agree on the white patch alone but have been pointed towards great northern.

I tend to think these are both Great Northern. The one on the left certainly looks like one and I think the other bird probably is. Although both occur around Islay, Great Northern is much commoner.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back