• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (7 Viewers)

A couple of hours yesterday at Cibollar 1 & 2 yesterday - not many waders, 4 Ruff, 1 Spotted Redshank, couple of Common Redshank, 1 Greenshank, a few Common Snipe, 1 Little Stint. But good for duck photography, a few Gargany and Pintails which came a little closer than normal, some Common Pochard, a couple of Marbled Ducks, got a photo with the crest puffed up. 1 Wigeon which was showing off how handsome he is, see amusing photo with the expression of an onlooking Shoveller.
Also there were 2 duck eggs widely spaced apart on the sandbar, apparently just deposited an abandoned without a nest. Both were blue, the one shown with some blotches. Does anyone know what species laid them? I suspect Shelduck.

Attachments

• Gargany_5109.jpg
    Gargany_5109.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Pintail_5091.jpg
    Pintail_5091.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Marbled Duck_4995.jpg
    Marbled Duck_4995.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Wigeon_5045.jpg
    Wigeon_5045.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4960_crop.JPG
    IMG_4960_crop.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 51
Lovely photos Clive, thanks for posting.
Sorry I have not been able to meet up, we are off to the USA for the whole of April.
I hope all visitors have a wonderful time here in Mallorca and see lots of great birds. Migration is only just under way so the best is yet to come.
I also hope that many visitors will post here to keep everyone up to date and I will try to post any news that I get.
I will miss the spring very much but on the other hand, I will be ticking off all those yankee species. See you all when I get back, Mike

Also there were 2 duck eggs widely spaced apart on the sandbar, apparently just deposited an abandoned without a nest. Both were blue, the one shown with some blotches. Does anyone know what species laid them? I suspect Shelduck.

Hi Clive
They're not Shelduck as according to my book their eggs are unmarked buff-white. I can't see an obvious match. Thinking of other birds that would be there, perhaps Common Tern if they're about yet?
Martin

Hi Clive
They're not Shelduck as according to my book their eggs are unmarked buff-white. I can't see an obvious match. Thinking of other birds that would be there, perhaps Common Tern if they're about yet?
Martin

Hi Martin,
I haven't seen any Common Tern there yet. I only have my 1954 copy of The Observer's Book of Birds' Eggs, but I think Common Tern eggs are too small and also have dark markings. Now I've had another look at the book, I think Mallard is more likely, as it says they are variable in colour, but includes pale greenish blue, unmarked, but apparently often with damp marks from vegetation. The other egg looks unmarked.

Attachments

• IMG_4961_crop.JPG
    IMG_4961_crop.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 44
Hello,
this morning a Water Pipit and a Wryneck at la Gola.
Also a Moustached Warbler. There are few sightings of this bird away from its nesting area in s'Albufera and Albufereta.
I have seen it during 30 seconds and I have recognised its call,so I'm quite sure it's a Moustached.
If somebody wants to try to find it again, it was near the torrent de Gommar, past the bridge and the Woodchat Schrike picture, on the right hand.
Good luck!
Cristina.

Today at Albufera. 2 Willow Warblers seen and heard, 7 male and 1 female Gargany and a fine male Wheatear as well as the usual stuff.

Arrived in Puerto Pollencia today. Watched a Bonelli's Eagle glide over the ridge towards Boquer from Don Miguel appartments late afternoon. Looking forward to getting out over next nine days. Cheers.

Hola and bon dia- have just arrived at the Pollensa Park Hotel after a good flight from Heathrow enlivened by an interesting landing at Palma with a strong side wind. As usual the taxi ride encountered the Red Kite near Binissalem, and there are Audouins Gulls in view from our balcony. Nice to see Serins and Stonechat in the grounds and to hear Blackcap and Cettis in the background together with the start of the evening frog chorus. Tomorrow a little local birding and a chance to pop in to La Gola and renew an old acquaintance with Cristina or start a new one with Marina. You will notice that the Hotel has repaired its PC so that people like me with an aversion to smartphones can communicate. I will also be listening hard tonight to see if the Scops Owls are in the area. Hugh Matthews

I have now remembered that La Gola centre is closed on Sundays. However still nice to be there this morning= among the birds available are Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Water Pipit and White wWagtail. Swifts, Swallows and House Martins were all in the air this morning, with winter visitors such as Robin and Black Redstart still here. A conundrum in the Hotel grounds this morning- 4 Starling spp- but which- they looked to me to be Common, which I suppose might still be leaving for the North this late? Lastly negative news from last night- no sound of any Scops Owls at all, although someone I met at La Gola today heard one near the foot of the Boquer yesterday.

I heard a Cuckoo in the back of my garden this morning, and saw a male Redstart. No sure if any Redstart have been reported yet. I live between Binissalem and Sencelles.
Patrick.

This morning at Ermita Betlem 2 Wryneck, 2 Booted eagle, Blue Rock Thrush, Crossbill, Firecrest and Raven.
Later at Depedura Collared Pratincole, 3 Garganey, 2 Common term, Nightingale, Osprey and Green and Common Sandpiper.

Quote from Hugh M...... As usual the taxi ride encountered the Red Kite near Binissalem

Is this something to look out for on the transfer from the airport. I'll be doing it via coach on 29th april

Last edited:
Hi Patrick
3 male Redstarts were reported yesterday at the "finca pública Galatzó". Nice to get both as garden ticks.
Martin

Last edited:
A quick update from the last few days:

29th - ca 1000 Alpine Swifts over Castell de Santueri

Dragonera
30th - Around 13 Willow Warblers and 3 male Redstarts.
31st - A good selection of summer migrants including a (nominate) Woodchat Shrike, 2 Nightingales, Western Subalpine Warbler and another female subalp, Tawny Pipit, 8 Redstarts and 33 Willow Warblers.

Portocolom
1st - Sightings made during the monthly RAM seabird census at the roundabout included a Bonxie, 24 Flamingos south, Pallid Swifts over Cova Gran, 4 Tawny Pipits heading north, more than a 1000 Balearic Shearwaters and more than 500 Scopoli's Shearwaters, all heading north. Also four Scops Owls calling near Felanitx and a pair of Long-eared Owls hunting and calling as it got dark.

Salobrar De Campos
2nd - A few bits of interest included semi-lekking Ruff, with a black male in near full summer plumage defending a group of females, 5 Garganey, 17 Blue-headed, 1 flavissima and 1 cinerocapilla Yellow Wag, 2 Temminck's Stints, 2 Tawny Pipits and Spotted Redshanks in summer plumage.

Thanks Martin, I can see a few more Redstarts have since been reported as well as a couple Cuckoos. Migration is heating up. and for what it's worth, the number of Robins and Song Thrushes have dropped dramatically in the last few days, at least in my neighbourhood.
Patrick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back