• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia Feb 2020 independent budget (2 Viewers)

I think Getva is the same as Eva - which I mention in the detailed itinerary.

I'm with you on the vehicles, Carol, rest assured we won't be squashed.
See above re Flamingos.

R

Flights are the same as I posted previously, i.e arriving at 7am on the Saturday morning and departing on Sunday at 01.20. Those are the best option via London.

Hi Richard,

could you please also ask about night drives as I've seem mixed reports as to whether these are feasible or not.

Do we think we might need space in the vehicle for a local guide from time to time?

Thanks

Jo

Flights are the same as I posted previously, i.e arriving at 7am on the Saturday morning and departing on Sunday at 01.20. Those are the best option via London.

Hi Jo, Richard is talking about arriving early on Friday 13th,not Saturday 14th

Edit: sorry typing from my phone -Richard is talking about arriving early on Friday 14th,not Saturday 15th , Jo

Last edited:
Hi Jo, Richard is talking about arriving early on Friday 13th,not Saturday 14th

Edit: sorry typing from my phone -Richard is talking about arriving early on Friday 14th,not Saturday 15th , Jo

Sorry I miss read but anyway, the flights on Thursday arriving on Friday are the same timings.

Hi Richard,

could you please also ask about night drives as I've seem mixed reports as to whether these are feasible or not.

Do we think we might need space in the vehicle for a local guide from time to time?

Thanks

Jo

Yes, and yes.

Any specific locations for night drives?

Hi All

Here is the list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3-8ESyXGlk8Zmc7SieJx2RQq0lR-dL0Drnnm4sNWrw/edit?usp=sharing

I have colour coded the mammals. The red ones are those that are endemic or near endemic that I particularly hope we will get good views of. The purple ones are mammals that I either haven't seen and would like to see or ones where I would like to see them better, but these mostly aren't endems or near endems. The rest are possibilities that are either so common we should see them, or ones that are chance sightings, or small rodenty things that I'm not proposing we go out of our way to look for because I'm not confident enough to identify them myself!

To increase our chances I have also indicated those sites that I think it would be particularly beneficial to organise sunset/night drives though I understand that spotlighting may be difficult/impossible at certain places. Still the trip reports I have used to compile this show what is possible even with those restrictions!

cheers

Jo

Hi Richard, the link in the above post refers. Basically, Awash for the hyena cave experience, Bilen and alidgehe seem to have a good rep for turning up things like bat-eared fox, aardwolf, african wildcat, genets etc.

Dinsho might be worth a look, and Harenna forest has lots of potential for something really good (I see reports of lion, leopard, wild dog but all very rare, I suspect the mammals we have the most realistic chance of seeing at night are giant forest hog and small stuff like genets etc but you never know).

Even around the lakes could turn up something good. I think I mentioned before that I heard that Langano has somewhat of a reputation for aardvark sightings although I get the feeling the chances are not that high. Someone had an aardvark by a burrow on the way to Negele from Bale, that seemed to be a daytime sighting which is obviously highly unusual. But it may be worth spotlighting that area.

Other than that, don't forget Cape clawless otters reportedly resident at Haile Resort -Hawassa.

The document I linked to has links to coordinates where these have been provided.

Cheers

Jo

I have a spotlight. Not one that plugs into a car but I did just got myself a thrunite catapult v6 mini thrower which I plan to use in Borneo. I don't have any night vision gear though.

Suggestions from October 2018 trip.
If you want to see Harwoods Francolin in the Jemma Valley, the only reliable site, you need to be there at dawn, scope essential. So an overnight stay, which your itinerary does not seem to have. We found the newly opened Edela Wit Hotel in Lemi town, near the start of the descent.
Getva in Debre Birhan is fancy for Ethiopia. good place to stay.
The only place we needed a guide was Aledeghi. He lay in the back of the 4WD, a Nissan Patrol. We picked him up at the park HQ. Mammals here are very skittish. Closest views were at Awash falls, though cattle farmers have invaded.
Hope that helps
Mark

Thanks for the info mrak. Personally, I am not fussed about seeing the francolin, especially if it's likely to be scope views. But in any case I think we have allowed for a Night at Alem Ketema, Jemma to get to the escarpment at dawn.

Do you have a trip report that we could read please?

Last edited:
Suggestions from October 2018 trip.
If you want to see Harwoods Francolin in the Jemma Valley, the only reliable site, you need to be there at dawn, scope essential. So an overnight stay, which your itinerary does not seem to have. We found the newly opened Edela Wit Hotel in Lemi town, near the start of the descent.
Getva in Debre Birhan is fancy for Ethiopia. good place to stay.
The only place we needed a guide was Aledeghi. He lay in the back of the 4WD, a Nissan Patrol. We picked him up at the park HQ. Mammals here are very skittish. Closest views were at Awash falls, though cattle farmers have invaded.
Hope that helps
Mark

Thank you Mark, for this helpful advice, above and your earlier advices earlier in the thread, which are all really helpful.

I believe that both Richard and I ( and Andy if he is coming ) are very keen to try for the Harwoods Francolin. It is also very useful to know that a scope is essential for this. I had been undecided whether to take mine on the trip..... so I may have to re-visit my thinking there and perhaps investigate purchasing a smaller, lighter one, with a lighter tripod..... assuming there is space in the vehicle ( s) for a scope / scopes ....

Thank you, again, Mark.

Kind regards, Carol

Yes, very useful, Mark. I think (without ref) that Lemi is closer than my alternative. Yes, we'll need a scope there.

Hi All,

I have mentioned before I am able to book flights and book mainly for birders and tour groups.
There is currently a special offer with Lufthansa which is cheaper than the Turkish Airlines flights mentioned by some in previous threads. Lufthansa allow two checked in bags per person so may be better and have good connections.
Please do email or call me for more information
Flight offer expires 10th September so will be worth booking flights soon as unlikely to be as low as they currently are after this month.

my email address is [email protected] - tel 01603 360099
website https://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/sacha.barbato

Sacha

Hi All,

I've done some reading & tweaking.

Following info re Debra Libranos, the first night (& perhaps) the 2nd, we would be better off at Lemi.
This gives us an easier site for dawn at Jemma escarpment, and saves some travel onto Debra Birhan.

Langano and Abiatta-Shalla are adjacent, and we'll have time for both, if all goes to plan.

Lake Chelekeli is on route to Addis on our return - so a stop there is easy.

We have some flexibility built in - and we could well need it - we'll have to wise on the trip as to where to use it.

I've re-emailed the agents with all our questions - I had crossed wires with two different people in separate offices - hence the slow response!

R

Hi Richard. Thanks for the info. How does that change to the first couple of days impact on viewing the geladas at debre Libanos? One of the reports mentioned them visiting the grounds of the hotels in debre Libanos around 10 am..

Cheers

Jo

I gather the troops are quite mobile, though I can't see anyone has a problem seeing them on day trips from Addis.

Have Ethiopian Customs relaxed their views on camera equipment, Jo? Just read of a guy spending seven hours at the airport persuading them to let him continue with his equipment.

Andy is currently in Africa - at least for another week - hence his non response.

No idea about the camera issue - you seem to have more info than me there! . My goal would be to get some good pictures of the geladas and so I am keen to allow time for that in the schedule. Its about a 1hr 45 min drive from Lemi as far as I can see...

We could probably get to Debre Libanos by 10 ish on the first day if all goes well. Then we have plenty of time in the area generally.

We could probably get to Debre Libanos by 10 ish on the first day if all goes well. Then we have plenty of time in the area generally.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your further updates and liaisons with the ground agents.

With regard to the above, that does sound like it might be quite tight on time to me, IMHO.

Working on the basis that Jo has said that her plane gets in at 7 am, that she then would have to get her visa, change enough birr ( including for accommodation ) and may perhaps have some delays with camera equipment and that it is about a 2 hour 15 minute run to Debre Libanos, assuming no traffic hold ups. Also the itinerary is planned to Bird the Sultuta plains en route to Debre Libanos. What are your views about using the alternative Debre Libanos hotel which Jo previously mentioned for the first night ?

Just my thoughts, off the top of my head.

Best regards, Carol

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back