• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reporting Ringed Dead Birds (1 Viewer)

Tim. L.

Hi all. New here so forgive me if I am posing in the wrong area.
I feed birds in my garden, the majority of which are a very large number of House Sparrows, 3 Spotted Woodpeckers, Finches and a variety of Tits.
A couple of days ago I found a dead Blackcap under the feeding station, birds do die!, but this one had been ringed, I reported the find to the BTO with the place found and ring details and today I had a reply saying that this bird was ringed by the Rockingham Forest Ringing Group on Sept 24 2018 near Southwick, Northamptonshire. I found this bird on 18 August and I am located 10 miles West of Exeter on the Eastern edge of Dartmoor. So in it's life this bird has travelled quite some distance for a small bird.

Is there an area to post such 'finds', if not, could Admin perhaps create one?

Are you aware of your county bird club? -

https://www.devonbirds.org/home

I'm sure they would post such interesting sightings (albeit deceased) on the sightings page if you contacted them, and they should get the info anyway for the annual county report.

In terms of reporting interesting sightings here on Birdforum, I think you just have ;) Not sure if any more dedicated subforum than this one is necessary. Finding any dead bird is unusual, a ringed one more so.

And welcome to BF! There's a garden bird section, and an annual garden birds thread in the Birds and Birding section too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back