• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suet basket life (1 Viewer)

TheAKBirding

Ernerculria
Hey all I have put my first suet basket outside and am wondering how quickly they expire or when it needs to be changed? I've just placed my feeders out a few days ago so I'm sure it'll take some time for the birding to commence and I know the suet is made of beef fat so wasn't sure if this stuff had a basket life..

We put fat balls (made of suet) out in some of our feeders and they get eaten fairly quickly. I've never known any go rancid - they get eaten before they have the chance to go bad. Unless you are experiencing really high temperatures, then I think your suet baskets will last quite some time.

Like what Kits says suet is very popular with birds and they eat it very quickly before anything expires.

Sounds good glad to know that's not really something to worry about, I was worried flies would go ham with it but I haven't seen on a one on there yet, not sure if that's a good or bad thing haha Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back