• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper help please (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
Another couple from my trip to France, these are different birds and were in the Pyrenees, one high and one one at lower altitude. I'm looking at the wing markings in Collins and think that the one on the left of the trunk is Treecreeper and the one in dappled light is Short-toed. Can anyone confirm or confound please? If the latter please explain what I've missed. Thanks.
David

Attachments

• untitled Sep 20_01-2.jpg
    untitled Sep 20_01-2.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 60
  • untitled Sep 20_01.jpg
    untitled Sep 20_01.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 44
Thanks, Nutty. The feature I'm looking at, and I may be barking up the wrong tree, is in the circles I've just added and I'm thinking it matches the differences shown in Collins. Of course, at this time of year, they were both as silent as a quiet thing on a noiseless day ...

Attachments

• untitled Sep 20_01-2.jpg
    untitled Sep 20_01-2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 15
  • untitled Sep 20_01.jpg
    untitled Sep 20_01.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks, Nutty. The feature I'm looking at, and I may be barking up the wrong tree, is in the circles I've just added and I'm thinking it matches the differences shown in Collins. Of course, at this time of year, they were both as silent as a quiet thing on a noiseless day ...

Yeah I see 2) is closer than 1) for short-toed, but agree with Nutty that it's actually common. The pattern wing "step" pattern seems more even than it should because of angle, I think. If you look carefully of argue you can still see the "indentation" indicative of common. I find other characters difficult to see in these photos

OK, Thanks to you both.
I'm very happy to go with your ideas. Thanks again for helping.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back