• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spurn point (1 Viewer)

Chota

Hi all
we are staying near spurn point in october has anyone any good bird watching points and any ideas on what we are likely to see

If the winds are easterly, almost anything anywhere along the peninsular from Kilnsea to the Point! If northerly or northwesterly, seawatching will be productive. At the moment the Point is only accessible on foot, high tides having washed out the road.

Hi all
we are staying near spurn point in october has anyone any good bird watching points and any ideas on what we are likely to see

You're in one of the best migrant spots at one the best times of year - if the winds are in the right direction expect nearly anything to turn up! The link Bob gives is a good place to start for a taster (you'll see plenty of good stuff in October on the sightings archive), and If you've got a smartphone then put http://twitter.com/#!/spurnbirdobs on your bookmarks to keep an eye on what shows up. :t:

Be careful when talking to the locals, a snarp won't prove to be a lifer.

I'll give that farve out of farve JT...... :t:
Reminds me of the bloke from Barnsley, who had a sore bum, an' went in t'chemists and asked if he'd got some "arse cream". T'chemist said "Aye, lad, tha' can 'ave Magnums or Cornetto's..." ;)

Joe

Warblers at Spurn

I normally go over to Spurn at the begining of October and have always enjoyed the birding in that period. I may get the chance to go over later this week and have been looking at the Obs sightings page. Apart from a single Barred Warbler netted earlier in the month none of the "rarer" warblers have been reported - I realise it's still a bit early but is anyone aware of any Yellow browed, Pallas's or Barred Warblers being present in the last few days please?

I normally go over to Spurn at the begining of October and have always enjoyed the birding in that period. I may get the chance to go over later this week and have been looking at the Obs sightings page. Apart from a single Barred Warbler netted earlier in the month none of the "rarer" warblers have been reported - I realise it's still a bit early but is anyone aware of any Yellow browed, Pallas's or Barred Warblers being present in the last few days please?

A few Yellow-brows along the east coast but the winds have been all wrong so not a lot doing at the moment I'm afraid.

A few Yellow-brows along the east coast but the winds have been all wrong so not a lot doing at the moment I'm afraid.

Considering the winds have been in the wrong direction for the last couple of weeks, it makes you wonder how an early YBW makes it all the way to Co.Mayo on the west coast of Ireland.

CB

At Spurn yesterday, really excellent views of waders 100's of Grey Plover, 100's of Knot with Dunlin, Sanderling, Blackwits, Curlew,..never seen such numbers before. We'd previously seen a huge flock 5/600 Golden Plover in the field before Kilnsea with a Sparrow Hawk spooking them into the air......tremendous..!
There wasn't much in the way of small stuff flying thro',a few Mipits, Swallows, Pied Fly's and flying over the Blue Bell Cafe CPark was a sorry looking Swift battling against the Southerly. Two thoughts came to mind watching it....What a long way to go in this wind and How do they do it...?
Walking to Beacon we saw a Merlin, a single Knot on the shore and then seen from the hide were 2 Brent Geese and usual Mallard etc.
A couple of blokes had seen 3 Whinchat and 3 Stonechat with a Pied Fly along the Canal. We dipped on those but did get a nice Emperor Dragonfly male along there.

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back