• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Munich Area Bluethroats in Sept (1 Viewer)

jf32

Hello,

I will be visiting Munich area ( Staying in Seeshaupt) for a week in September and would be very in interested in locations where I might see a Bluethroat.

Other target species that include Black Woodpecker, Spotted Redshank, and Brambling.

Thanks in advance.
John Facchini
San Francisco

Hello,

I will be visiting Munich area ( Staying in Seeshaupt) for a week in September and would be very in interested in locations where I might see a Bluethroat.

Other target species that include Black Woodpecker, Spotted Redshank, and Brambling.

Thanks in advance.
John Facchini
San Francisco
September is not a good month for Bluethroat at all... and may be a tad early for Brambling. Remind me to look up sites for the other two if I don't come back soon!

Black Woodpecker is fairly widespread throughout the country; in my experience, it can occur in almost any decently-sized forest patch, and it can be quite conspicuous (it has two very distinctive call types, and a distinctive song). Haven't yet seen it in Bavaria myself, though. This site should help with some general information, and with some specific this regarding the two rarest of the local woodpecker species:
http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

Regarding Brambling, some people allege that they've bred in the Alps at some point, but the only realistic chance of seeing them in Germany is probably when the northern population arrives for the winter, maybe in October or November.

I am very often around Munich.
For waders look at lake Ismaninger Speichersee. Is not really good but some chance.
Sunday evening and monday morning is good chance for waders at lake Echinger Staussee near Moosburg.
Brambing I do not know in this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back