• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wader ID (France) (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Hi
Is it possible to ID the bird on these blurry pictures?
I'm thinking of a Red Knot, or maybe Grey Plover?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 50
Hello,
a hard picture, at least for me. But I think its either a Bar-tailed Godwit, a Curlew or a Whimbrel.
But which one?
First jizz impression says, its not a Curlew, this bird is too dark and has a contrasting darker breast, and has a too stocky build in relation to the wings.
This bird has a pale underwing, better for Bar-tailed Godwit.
I get the impression of a dark hand , contrasting with a paler arm and a suggestion of even paler secondaries, ghosting the whitish area of a Redshank, but clearly narrower. I hope this is understandable, I noted this on distant flying Bar-tailed GW, and see this pattern in this bird here, too.
Also the proportions of the sticked-out head in relation to body seems better for Bar-tailed GW than for Whimbrel or Curlew to me.
Whimbrel should have darker underwing and a more uniform darkish belly/breast.
I exclude rarer species, that I havent experience of, like Steppe Whimbrel and can understand, when someone says, these pictures are not good enough for a certain identfication. But I hope, this is helpfull.

Conclusion? If I had to, I would ID it as a Bar-tailed GW

Last edited:
Looks to me like one of the larger species: curlew or bar-tailed godwit. The first pic may show a curved bill which would mean curlew, but the last 2 (last esp) seem to show a straight one. I think wing shape is better for the godwit so that's my guess.

thank you both of you. On the beach there was indeed 2 Bar-tailed GW, several Grey Plovers, no Whimbrel, but plenty of Curlews.

I'm keeping GW for the ID

I think with a little phantasy on the last pic the straight bill is recognisable - Bar-tailed Godwit for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back