• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds in Dallas area? (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

Is there any real chance of attracting bluebirds to a backyard in the DFW area, Plano in particular? Would love to give it a try, but am wondering if it's worth the effort.

If so, would dried mealworms be a good way to go? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Mealworms are certainly a preferred Bluebird food, but even when I had Bluebirds nesting on my Connecticut property, they were not visiting my feeders. They only came to use the nest boxes I'd put up for them.
It may be that a water feature would have more appeal in your area, because they don't seem to be as feeder oriented as the various finches and sparrows.

Mealworms are certainly a preferred Bluebird food, but even when I had Bluebirds nesting on my Connecticut property, they were not visiting my feeders. They only came to use the nest boxes I'd put up for them.
It may be that a water feature would have more appeal in your area, because they don't seem to be as feeder oriented as the various finches and sparrows.

We already have a large terra cotta plant saucer on the ground. I think it's 18" across, we keep it full with 1.5" to 2" of water in it. Hopefully that's what they like.

You're ahead of me...I've never even seen a bluebird here!

We already have a large terra cotta plant saucer on the ground. I think it's 18" across, we keep it full with 1.5" to 2" of water in it. Hopefully that's what they like.

You're ahead of me...I've never even seen a bluebird here!

They are around in Texas as well, but they rarely congregate except in winter, when I've seen small flocks foraging for residual berries.

You're doing good with the water options, maybe add a sloping flat rock so the birds can go in as deep as they are comfortable for a bath.
I've heard that misters or drips really help draw birds generally, not just Bluebirds, but have no practical experience with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back