• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders for ID please (1 Viewer)

Trik

www.trikimages.co.uk Wildlife photography
Firstly, apologies for my ignorance re the IDs of these common waders. I was told at the time of photographing, but I've forgotten!

September 2020, Bonanza Salt Pans, Andalucia, Spain.

Many thanks
Trik

Attachments

• wader1 query.jpg
    wader1 query.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 90
  • wader2 query.jpg
    wader2 query.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 126
  • wader3 query.jpg
    wader3 query.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 99
Thanks, aeshna5. I got the first two round the right way, but the Dunlin had me foxed.

Trik

The Dunlin has the remains of the black belly patch of breeding plumage, which is diagnostic. No other wader is going to look like that.

Thank you, John. It was those black feathers that puzzled me, as, initially, I thought it was one of the Curlew Sandpipers (a first for me) that were also there. However, the beak seemed too short and other things weren't quite right either, but comparing it now with other shots of Dunlin I have, I see it now. As you can probably tell, I'm not a birder but just like photographing them!

Trik

Thank you, John. It was those black feathers that puzzled me, as, initially, I thought it was one of the Curlew Sandpipers (a first for me) that were also there. However, the beak seemed too short and other things weren't quite right either, but comparing it now with other shots of Dunlin I have, I see it now. As you can probably tell, I'm not a birder but just like photographing them!

Trik
You're most welcome. I forgot to say that your photos are excellent, very nice work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back