• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

Hi all,

I am thinking of heading to the coast to look for the snow buntings and was wondering where the best spot for them would be. I know most people see them near Salthouse but I usually go to Cley so am not so familiar with the footpath to Salthouse. If I come by the coasthopper bus what stop would I need?

If you follow the directions given to Salthouse, then the best spot for snow bunts is between the car park and Little Eye. There is seed being put out for them daily in this area so both snow and Lapland buntings are very easy there.

If you follow the directions given to Salthouse, then the best spot for snow bunts is between the car park and Little Eye. There is seed being put out for them daily in this area so both snow and Lapland buntings are very easy there.

Hi Postcard,
Will also hopefully be there on Friday, when you refer to Little Eye, could you confirm what you are referring to please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Nick

Hi Postcard,
Will also hopefully be there on Friday, when you refer to Little Eye, could you confirm what you are referring to please?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Nick

When you get down to the beach carpark at Salthouse, there's a small hill on each side of you. The one to the east is Gramborough Hill, and the one to the west is the Little Eye.

All this time I thought the Little Eye was the small pool as in the Eye Pool at Cley. But then again I only learnt this year where the Dell at Wells Wood is, having lived in Norfolk for over 10 years - no wonder I get confused!

28 Bewick's and 3 Whoopers east of the A149 just south of Catfield village mid morning.

This afternoon at Walcott were adult Med Gull and 2 Purple Sandpipers east of the slipway; nice to see this species back here again. Also 82 Turnstone, 12 Sanderling and single Ringed Plover on the beach. Lots of pre-roost gulls offshore but nothing else of note.

May I wish a Happy and bird filled 2008 to one and all...

James

28 Bewick's and 3 Whoopers east of the A149 just south of Catfield village mid morning.

This afternoon at Walcott were adult Med Gull and 2 Purple Sandpipers east of the slipway; nice to see this species back here again. Also 82 Turnstone, 12 Sanderling and single Ringed Plover on the beach. Lots of pre-roost gulls offshore but nothing else of note.

May I wish a Happy and bird filled 2008 to one and all...

James

Happy New Year to you also James and to everyone on the Norfolk Thread and BF

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

hI ALL

Was out along the North Norfolk coast on the 30th with my brother from Derbyshire and had a great time as usual.

Started off with several Barn Owl, Lapland Bunting and Red-throated Diver at Titchwell. The geese were amazing but no white-fronts (where should I have looked). More Lapland Buntings with the flock of Snow Buntings at Salthouse, Merlin, etc etc.

Only disappointments were no Purple Sandpiper and Holkham was too busy for my usual Shorelarks there (as Sunday was our only option). Is there a better place for Shorelark?

Living in Spain (Barcelona), its amazing which British birds you miss. I got such a thrill from birds I used to see regularly. Even watching a huge flock of Oystercatchers (we only get a handful here).

Happy New Year from a birder who loves British birding despite living in Spain!

hI ALL
Only disappointments were no Purple Sandpiper and Holkham was too busy for my usual Shorelarks there (as Sunday was our only option). Is there a better place for Shorelark?

Shorelarks have been really scarce this winter, only sightings I know of were the 3 at Cley and (presumed same?) 3 at Holme golf course.

Happy new year to all, lets make it a good one!

Connor

A fun New Years Day.

Decided to go for the scarer birds today, so started at Ongar for the Richard's Pipit, showed well from about 9am, although it kept disappearing into the grass. Anyone any ideas on race? It seemed slight in flight and very buff on the breast, with faint neck markings and streaked head, it didn't call. Other Highlights here included three Barn Owls, Woodcock and Little Owl while trying to locate the site (further down near the barn were upto 100 Twite).

From here I went to Roydon Common and had good (if distant) views of the Great Grey Shrike. I spent some time driving around Sandringham, West Walton and Wolferton - with a male Peregrine s surprise sighting at West Walton.

I spent quite a lot of time looking for Pink-feet around Docking. The first time I was there the flocks south of the area were not visible and I eventually found about 3000 near Sutherland Farm, but couldn't find any other species amongst them.

Decided that some padding for my year list was needed so I decided to go to Titchwell. Relocating the Black Brant after presuasion to return was good. There was a good variety of birds here, the highlights being 4 Bewick's Swans west, two showy Water Rails, 3 Spotted Redshank and a sub-adult Yellow-legged Gull.

News of the Lesser Snow Goose had me returning to the Docking to Bircham road, where c 10,000 Pink-feet were located. The Lesser Snow Goose was still present, but was lost in the mist!

As darkness began I decided to have a drive to Wells. The gates to Holkham were closed so I opted to go down to the Quay where a Shag could be seen preening on the sand and a single female Hen Harrier distantly over Warham Green.

A twitchy day (won't surprise those that know me) with a final total of 96 species and 0 sun!

Happy new year to all.

Have been away for a few days in hertfordshire with friends for new year had very good views of 2 buzards soring and just messing about realy my mate said they have been on the farm for about 3 weeks so maybe they will stay there.
Any way can start new year watching now so hope to do more birding this year and meet up with some BF members.

Barry.

A fun New Years Day.

Decided to go for the scarer birds today, so started at Ongar for the Richard's Pipit, showed well from about 9am, although it kept disappearing into the grass. Anyone any ideas on race?

current thinking (Alstrom in Pipits) has them as monotypic, various 'races' have been described in the past and may be valid but the variation may just be clinal

Thanks Tim, I don't always have such literature, so its helpful to know, nice bird anyway. Did you manage to get out today in the East?
Hopefully we'll hear from Penny soon as I bumped into her at Titchwell and I believe at Sandringham! Love to know how our days compared!

Managed 84 Species today - grey, merky, rainy, horrible weather.

Spent New Year's Eve on my own without drinking so was able to get up early this morning.

From house to Wolverton cross tracks I saw Blackbird, Collard Dove, Common Gull, Starling, Jackdaw, Wood Pigeon, Robin and Rook. Arrived Wolverton 8.10am to look for golden pheasant - I knew I wouldn't be lucky again (saw it the other day, see previous post 2748), but did see Common bog standard;), Pheasant! and also Blue Tit, Wren and Jay. That was it for Wolverton in the gloomy weather! I had stunning views of Fallow deer in a clearing and also muntjac deer!

Next stop was Roydon Common where I saw a Green Woodpecker bounding across the track, a fantastic Ringtail Hen Harrier, gliding over the heather and spotted with my bins the Great Great Shrike in the distance on a tiny little tree in the middle of the heather, much to the delight of other birders who had been searching for it. Also Magpie here.

Next stop was the bird table at Sandringham to find Squirrel on the bird table along with Coal Tit, Great Tit, Marsh Tit, Goldcrest, chaffinch. 3 Redwings landed in the trees behind. 4 Long Tailed Tits flew over. Last year at this bird table I had nuthatch and treecreeper, yellow hammer etc etc, but no sun today obviously made a huge difference.

On route to Hunstanton I had Kestrel, several curlew feeding in fields. At Hunstanton Cliffs I had Fulmars, Brent Geese on sea, Turnstone, Cormorant, Herring Gull, Lesser Black backed Gull and Black Headed Gull.

At Old Hunstanton golfcourse I saw loads of Oystercatchers and turnstones. At the village shop I had House Sparrow and just past the shop a Song Thrush on the telegraph wire.

I dropped newspapers in to my parents at Holme, my only words were 'morning, see you when its dark'!!! Around my parent's house and the pond opposite, Pink Footed Geese flying over, Goldfinch, Mallard, Moorhen, Hedge Sparrow, Greenfinchs.

Holme Marsh Reserve: path extremely muddy, and very few birds, only saw Greylag Goose, Teal, Mistle Thrush and Sparrowhawk here.

Choosely Barns: Unbelievably no yellow hammers, in fact there was nothing by the barns, so I carried on down Choosley road and only saw a couple of Carrion Crows. But I did have a wonderful sighting of 2 hares boxing!

Titchwell RSPB: Tree Sparrow on feeders which was an excellent tick!, Linnets, usual finches (listed already today). Coot, Wigeon, Mute Swan, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Grey Heron, Peregrine sitting on trees (possibly 2 there), Shovelar, Merlin, Shelduck, Lapwing, Avocet, Golden Plover, Great Black Backed Gull, Dunlin, Grey Plover, Knot, Golden Eye, Ruff, Spotted Redshank, Gadwall, Little Grebe, Canada Goose, Redshank, Little Egret, Black Tailed Godwit, Bar Tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Common Scooter, Eider, Marsh Harrier, Barn Owl. Dipped on several birds here including brambling, water rail and also I had realised at the end of the day I had not seen a pied wag!!!

Holme 4pm! Fieldfare clacking away in NOA carpark, Pochard on marshes, flushed 2 Red Legged Partridges in very semi-dusk. And had another barn owl sitting on post leaving in the dark half way down Firs Road.

Not too bad a day considering the weather.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
My most enjoyable year's birding to date I reckon...ended up with a patch (Sea Palling, Eccles, Hickling, Horsey) list of 213 BOU for 2007, of which 201 BOU were self-found. Mostly done on a bike.

Very pleased with the first year. Highlights were finds of Radde's, Greenish, Barred, and several Yellow-browed Warblers (incl one in the garden) Red-backed and Great Grey (x2) Shrikes, Sabs Gull, Glaucous Gull, Grey Phalarope, Balearic Shearwater, Black-throated Diver, Woodlark, Bittern etc.

Other notable moments were Icky, Alpine Swift, Lesser Snow and Ross Geese, Bonaparte's Gull, Fudger, Dartford Warbler, Little Auks on the beach, Poms everywhere, Cranes over the house, the dog catching a Bittern (unharmed) and 21 Rouzels in one paddock!

Misses included White-billed Diver, Great Shear, Red-footed Falcon, Spoonbill, Great White Egret x 2, RBFly x 2, Leach's Petrel, Wryneck etc.

Add in Arunachal in spring for Fire-tailed Myzornis, Ward's Trogon, Beautiful Nuthatch, Wedge-billeds and the new liocichla, some beautiful Norfolk sunsets and a party of four Pom skuas close in over the beach in brilliant blue sky and bright sunlight with a raging sea behind.

Looking forward to more of the same and filling some gaps in 2008. It will all be on my website

Last edited:

James

Saw the the Med Gull on the 30th (which was nice), not as many Sanderling and Turnstone, but there were 3 Purple Sandpipers.

What are the chances of seeing Manx Shearwaters at this time of year? Thought I might have seen some at West Runton and another at Walcott, but I could easily have been mistaken.

Well what a good day today...

Started at Ongar Hill, Terrington Marsh. Arrived at 8:10am and at 8:40am located the Richard's Pipit at the base of the seawall. It continued to show fairly well until at least 9:15am.

After this, at Roydon Common, the Great-grey Shrike showed reasonably well by the side of the car-park access track in a small tree at around 10:50am. The commoner species were also starting to build up...

Unfortunately, as too often seems the case (!), the Golden Pheasants failed to oblige at Wolferton, but 2 Bullfinches at Flitcham were a bit of a bonus.

3 miles north of here near the B1153 a white morph Ross's Goose was noted with Pink-footed Geese at 11:30pm. This was followed by a trip to Holkham Lake, which not only produced the female Smew, but also the surprise find of a flock of 105 (!) Bramblings.

After a bite to eat so as to refuel, a trip was made to see an interesting assortment of Brent Geese on Wells Football Pitch. At least 2 pretty classic Black Brants were present, as were 2 Black Brant x dark-bellied Brent Geese hybirds and a nice Pale-bellied Brent Goose.

The day ended with more Geese searching, with the result being 2 Ross's Geese located with Pink-feet 1 mile north of Fring south of the Docking-Fring road.

Cheers,

Connor

You certainly had a very good day Connor, are there signs for the Roydon Common car park please? Hope to be in Norfolk on Friday

Cheers
Nick

Don't know whether it is signposted actually, but once you come off the Knight's Hill Roundabout take the first right and off this road it is the first major track leading off to the right. Make sure you park along the access road rather than in the carpark itself as people breaking into your car in this area is a realisitic (and seemingly regular) threat...

Connor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back