• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Generation Tract Toric 10X42 Schott HT (1 Viewer)

I just sold my beloved Vortex Viper 10x50 HD's with plans to upgrade to what I think of as the $1000 class binoculars. What I include in that group are among others are Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD (I know they are often $1200 but performance wise I place them here), Maven, Nikon HG, Cabelas Euro HD (Meopta) and some lesser known brands that provide offerings at this price point. I have long envied those able to afford optics like these in this class of bin. I suppose that the choice in the Viper was that in the 10x50 configuration I would have a bright field of view and better resolution which would get me as close as possible to the performance of the 10x42 $1000 class, albeit at the expense of a narrow field of view and extra weight. For the most part I think optical performance-wise I have gotten that out of the Vipers. I thought I could live with those trade offs but the bulk and narrow FOV has bothered me ever since I bought them. I don't regret buying them because I feel like they were the best choice three years ago for less than $550.

So now that I have saved money and sold the Vipers, and am now I'm in a position to spring for one of these mid-upper tier binoculars, I have a few options. I have a chance to buy Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD or this Tract model (new Schott HT version), all for less than $700. I don't anticipate my wife giving the green light to spend this much for binoculars after this, at least for a long while so I've gotta get this right. By right I mean, the best optical performance I can get for the money. Other features take a back seat in my mind.

I have compared the Razor HD to the Conquest in a store setting. In the store itself there was little discernable difference between the two save for a slight difference in color cast and a slight field of view advantage in the Razor. When taken outside in lower light, I could discern a very slight advantage to the Conquest HD in brightness. I can definitely see a difference between these and the Swaro SLC. I was leaning Conquest when I came across these Tracts. In my mind, the Conquests are the safe bet. Some of you on bird forum are starting to persuade me to go Tract. If the gen 1 Tracts were competitive with the view with the Conquests, then by logic, the new HT Schott version should be better, even if slightly so correct?

Tract has a 30 day trial period so easy to try with no obligation. I own the original version and it’s awesome so any improvement on these would be icing on the cake. I would suggest getting on Tract’s email list and waiting a little while as they typically run a promo around this time of year. If you want the widest fov than the Monarch HG is the obvious choice. LL Bean has been running 20-25% off promos regularly so that would be the best way to but those. They also have a 1 year return for any reason policy so you can have an extended test drive. Sport Optics is running a 13% off promo until the end of the month if you want to try the Conquests. There have been a pair of the original Torics on the classifieds forum here for an asking price of $500. Not sure if they are still available but the ad is still there. I bought mine used from a birdforum member and could not tell they weren’t new. They have the same warranty so I was very happy to get them at a much better price than retail. Hope that helps.

I would be inclined to go with the Tract Toric HT 10x42 if I had to choose between those three. You should probably try the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 because it would have the biggest FOV and it is very good in 10x42. Also, try the new Vortex Viper HD 10x42. I compared it to the Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and I don't see much difference in the optics and it is 1/2 the price. In fact Allbino's liked the older Viper better than the older model Razor. The new updated version has a bigger FOV and the nice thing about the Viper is how small, compact and light it is for a 42mm.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...JhIlXXEdUNDemvy8HWLOVaiOuxoCMwYQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think another Viper is where I'm going with this or I would not have sold my last pair. Vipers are good, but I want to step up to the next level. A 30 day trial period might be the way to go to give Tract a chance. That might be a way to address the fact that one can't look through them first in the store. After using a bin that has a 278 ft. view at 1000 yards in the Viper, any improvement will be better. My use is both birding and as a hunting optic. Is there anyone who can compare the Vortex Razor HD with the Tract?

So I have pulled the trigger on the new Tract Schott HT. I went with the 8x42 model because my hands aren't as steady as they used to be and if I need more than 8x then I can bust out the spotter. I will post a review when they arrive. Thanks all for the info on these.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back