• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coastal Resorts - Gulf Coast (1 Viewer)

Richard G

Rough plans being drawn up for a bit of a 3 week road trip family holiday next June/July.

Includes the usual Orlando area (which I've done before) to satisfy the kids, and a few days in the Keys.

One idea we did have was spending the last few days/week at a coastal resort for a bit of R&R. Looking for suggestions where would be best area for the wife's R&R & I can maximise my birding/photo opportunities.

Richard

In general, summer birding in Florida is pretty slow - mostly the year-round wading species that would still be found in local wetlands. But probably the Sanibel Island area would have the best opportunities, having Ding Darling reserve located right in the middle of the island, and a reasonably short drive to the mainland for Corkscrew Swamp and a few smaller spots for birding.

The outside chance would be to position yourself within easy drive of Fort De Soto, at the southern tip of the St. Pete island and key chain...St. Pete beach or any nearby will be within a 20 minute drive - it's more of a migration hot-spot, so no guarantees in summer, but has some of the most gorgeous beaches in Florida and will usually be a reliable spot for shore birds and some waders of typical summer variety.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back