• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings From Northern East-Anglia, England, Near The North Sea. (1 Viewer)

Hornchurch

'

Hi Folks & Greetings from a moderately cold 'East Anglia', where I currently reside.

Came across your (wonderful looking), forum purely by chance....

I've used & bought some new binoculars recently, when I stumbled on the 'binocular' section.

Given my interest in ornithology has literally skyrocketed in recent years, it made sense to join !

Outside the balcony of my humble abode (which overlooks farmland), I feed all manner of birds.

Have Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blackbirds, Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits & Long Tailed Tits too.

The latter four-mentioned birds are less than arms-length from my bedroom window, ALL DAY LONG !

Bought a few 'Feeding Stations', multiple types of feeders, mesh-trays, etc.

Cheers me up in the (otherwise, boring), "winter-time", seeing these little mites outside, feeding.

I've also had Jays & a Cuckoo just arms length away, but whilst prevalent locally, rarer on my balcony-rail.

Should mention that I also feed Ring-Collared-Doves, plus we have Pheasant & Partridge outside.

In the field opposite, I regularly see Barn-Owls, Tawney-Owls (had one indooors !)

Also get Buzzards & Honey-Buzzards here, along with a territorial Hawk, using Telegraph Pole, opposite.

We have TWO (British), "R.S.P.B Bird Sanctuary" locally, so I also see Oystercatchers in the field.

Have a 1,000-year-old Church almost bang-opposite, plus narrow wooded lanes, so the wide-open expanse of field outside my window help greatly when 'birding' (viewing)

We also have a 'discreet', but recently "in the news" Royal Estate nearby, meaning bird-life abounds.

Because of the above, it means ZERO house-building nearby & therefore mucho 'Green Belt' Land.

Right, that's the locale & birdlife basically covered, BUT, being a brand-'NEWB' here, I have a question.

Having not had chance to trawl the site yet, I was wondering.....

What is the ROUGH 'ball-park-figure' ratio of Brit's here, to our wonderful American 'Cousins/Bretheren' ?

I'm sure like other forums I use (Guitar, Aircraft, M/cycles), there's a fair mix...

Was wondering as to the rough/approximate "ratio" here, as I know many species ARE 'USA' unique !

Looking forward to interacting with you guys over the coming months etc, plus...

Am hoping to further my (currently), "scant to moderate" knowledge of local wildlife, etc.

P.S, We also get a lot of Wild Deer here, besides Muntjac, we have Roebuck & Fallow Deer, too !

P.P.S, Am also hoping to interact & learn from the 'Optics' (Camera) sections on here !

P.P.P.S = Went to 'U.C.P' to upload an Avatar, but couldn't see where ?

Could some kindly folk please point me to the right direction 'page' to upload an Avatar ?

Hi Hornchurch and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I'm not too sure on the ratios, but I guess the British contingent is generally larger (but don't hold me to that). We also have many members from across the world, with many in Asia, Australia and South America, as well as mainland Europe.

Regarding your Avatar, there are a few restrictions placed on new members, which you can read more about here. The avatar is included in this I'm afraid.

The time will soon pass, I'm sure.

Hi Hornchurch and welcome.

You also have Chinese Water Deer in your neck of the woods not to mention terrific coasts and you are not far from Suffolk and Minsmere, Walberswick and Benacre.

Enjoy your visits here.

Lee

Hi Hornchurch and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Regarding your Avatar, there are a few restrictions placed on new members, which you can read more about here. The avatar is included in this I'm afraid.

The time will soon pass, I'm sure.
'

Hi Delia & very many thanks for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated.

This forum-layout is very familiar in style to those I've used before.

Around 5,7,10 years ago (various forums), I've been a moderator & even an Admin' myself *...
(*on just one, now defunct, which I helped run with an American Professor mate of mine, from N.C )

Frankly, I always just prefer 'being one of the lads', as I'm a lazy git by nature !

Point I'm getting at is ; I figured something 'wuz up', as visiting the UCP showed no Av-upload.

Thanks for the link & it's explanation ; Am MORE than happy to 'serve the probationary period' - No rush

Welcome to Birdforum! I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. Enjoy the site.

'

Just wanted to thank the following 'Guys & Gals' for the initial warm welcome recieved on here.....

delia.t , Troubador (Lee), KC Fogg', Clark.W.Grisw', G6.UXU, Kits, Fritz.73, & Lisa.W

Cheers folks, it's appreciated.

(P.S, ; I may chime up on here once more, regarding the geographical mentions/relevance, etc )

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back