• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CP4500 Monitor Freeze! (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Ive just been practicing with my cp4500, hadnt even taken a shot, when the monitor decided to freeze....... :eek!: :C Theres no activity, and no buttons work. Does anyone know the best way to bring this camera back to functionality?

Thanks for any help,

tracker

Tracker, there was some discusssion about this recently - sorry I can't stop just now to search, but I think the answer is to remove the batteries, and wait a while. With a bit of luck, someone more knowledgeable than I am will come along soon. Good luck!!!

Ok, thanks Elizabeth. I have already tried a search here, but not found anything yet.
I left the camera for a good half hour, in its 'frozen' condition, then decided to remove the battery.
I noticed last night after taking a shot, the screen was going black for about a second, then returning. I wonder if theres a fault in it?

tracker

Its starting to really do my head in now. Cos it won't focus properly on something as straight forward as a chair.
Ive either incorrectly set it up, or theres something faulty with it...... :C

Last edited:
If it's under guarantee still then I'd be getting it looked at. I have had mine well over a year now and it's only ever happened to me once and came back on again as soon as I replaced the battery.

I think with the CP990 it used to be recommended to leave the batteries out for 24 hrs before trying again.

My Olympus C2100UZ has suffered this condition a few times, but it is after all about 4 years old now.

Elizabeth, thanks so much for the link. It does seem to be a common problem with this camera. Im still reading through it. Thanks again for taking the time........ :t:

tracker

I only got this cam at end of Jan 2004. So i will see how it goes. Theres some good info on the link from Elizabeth. Maybe my cam needs to have its firmware updated. Thats something else i'll have to work out.

Sheeeesh, theres always something, isnt there?

tracker

tracker said:
Elizabeth, thanks so much for the link. It does seem to be a common problem with this camera. Im still reading through it. Thanks again for taking the time........ :t:

tracker

Not sure if updating the firmware yourself may invalidate the warranty!

Tracker
Read pages 155 - 160 of the manual which came with your camera regarding malfunctions which are usually cured by removing and replacing charged batteries. if this fails consult the Nikon dealer for repairs under warranty. Updating firmware should have nothing to do with causing malfunctions

Updating firmware

This may be or not be of interest. I updated my firmware from the Nikon site from version 1.1 to version 1.3. I now find that the camera is a lot better and the picture quality, including using flash, is greatly enhanced.

Malky @ Westhill

Tracker,this happened to me a couple of weeks ago,I did mention it on a thread,I phoned the company from whom I purchased it,and they said to remove the battery,then replace it again,straight away,and it was fine.I may add that it was a very cold day,and it was the first time it had happened,I have been using the camera since the late Spring.That was the reason I purchased a used 990 as a back up.
Malky,I went to the Nikon site to do as you suggested,but could make no headway at all,far too complicated.I got no further than page 1!!

Geoff Brown said:
Tracker
Read pages 155 - 160 of the manual which came with your camera regarding malfunctions which are usually cured by removing and replacing charged batteries. if this fails consult the Nikon dealer for repairs under warranty. Updating firmware should have nothing to do with causing malfunctions

Hi Geoff, thanks for your reply. I'd already done what you suggested. My problem wasnt covered in the booklet nor is it covered on the Nikon website.

As i say, im gonna see how things develop. It may sort itself. We shall see.

tracker

Hi alcedo.atthis,

I am using the firmware version that came with the cam, ver. 1.2.
Im not really sure which way i'll go yet. Only using the camera further will help me to decide.

Thanks for your suggestion.

tracker

christineredgat said:
Tracker,this happened to me a couple of weeks ago,I did mention it on a thread,I phoned the company from whom I purchased it,and they said to remove the battery,then replace it again,straight away,and it was fine.I may add that it was a very cold day,and it was the first time it had happened,I have been using the camera since the late Spring.That was the reason I purchased a used 990 as a back up.
Malky,I went to the Nikon site to do as you suggested,but could make no headway at all,far too complicated.I got no further than page 1!!

Hi Christine,

Yes i read the thread you started regarding the same problem. I found it a little reassuring.

The thing is though, Christine, i was in my living room with the camera. I hadnt been out today. So it wasnt a 'cold' issue.

Thanks

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back