• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

After a respite due to the weather the painted lady migration restarted this afternoon with about 50 seen during the afternoon at Swanton Novers , all but one heading north west.

First chance to get back to one of the better wildflower meadows on the local patch this afternoon, nothing out of the ordinery but nice to catch up with a couple of Large Skippers, Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper along with Small Tortoiseshell and two or three Painted Ladies. Also two very fresh looking Speckled Woods with amazing golden yellow speckles, couldn't get anywhere near them with the camera but did manage a potshot at the Skipper.

Matt

Attachments

• 100_9530 (Custom).JPG
    100_9530 (Custom).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 146
Spent two or three hours walking through Ashwellthorpe Lower Wood NWT this morning in the vein hope of seeing a (reputed to be present here?) White Admiral, unfortunately none were seen. Wether or not they're still being recorded on this site I'm unsure, maybe I was just unlucky!! I did see a few Speckled Woods, Meadow Brown, Painted Lady etc.

Going to post this pic of an unidentified moth I found on one of the woodland clearings here before I delete it from my folders (just incase it's of interest to someone!!)

Matt

Attachments

• 100_9571.JPG
    100_9571.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 136
Spent two or three hours walking through Ashwellthorpe Lower Wood NWT this morning in the vein hope of seeing a (reputed to be present here?) White Admiral, unfortunately none were seen. Wether or not they're still being recorded on this site I'm unsure, maybe I was just unlucky!! I did see a few Speckled Woods, Meadow Brown, Painted Lady etc.

Going to post this pic of an unidentified moth I found on one of the woodland clearings here before I delete it from my folders (just incase it's of interest to someone!!)

Matt

I think the moth is Pyrausta aurata, I saw one at Sculthorpe Moor last year and looked it up. I had my first Large Skipper at Upton Fen today, and an unusually co-operative Swallowtail at Hickling!

Attachments

• Me&swallcrop.jpg
    Me&swallcrop.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Swallowtail crop low.jpg
    Swallowtail crop low.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Swallcrop2.jpg
    Swallcrop2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 138
Matt you are a bit too early for white admiral yet. I usualy see the first in the last week of June , but its July before they are about in any numbers at Swanton Novers.

Matt you are a bit too early for white admiral yet. I usualy see the first in the last week of June , but its July before they are about in any numbers at Swanton Novers.

Thanks for that, will give it another try sometime in july!

Well done with the Swallowtail James, have yet to catch up with one of those this year. Thanks for the moth ID, another one for the list!!

Matt

Just three examples from the moth trap last night at Kettlestone if of interest to anyone.

Major.

Attachments

• E-H-Moth.jpg
    E-H-Moth.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Eyed-Hawkmoth.jpg
    Eyed-Hawkmoth.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Ghost-Moth.jpg
    Ghost-Moth.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 127
I was walking a stone track ( on the marsh south of the river ) close to Reedham the other afternoon and it was alive with freshly emerged small torts along with good numbers of painted lady and a single medow brown.

Lots of lovely things at Strumphaw today: several species of Orchid, Swallowtail, resident Spot Fly and Large Skipper being highlights....

Attachments

• Large Skipper.jpg
    Large Skipper.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Bee Orchid.jpg
    Bee Orchid.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 138
  • EPO2 (Strump, Fathers Day).jpg
    EPO2 (Strump, Fathers Day).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 120
Strumpshaw Fen

Still good numbers of newly-emerged (and therefore late!) Swallowtails today, as well as a Brown Argus!

Attachments

• Swallowtail 23 6.jpg
    Swallowtail 23 6.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Swallowtail 23 6 b.jpg
    Swallowtail 23 6 b.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Swallowtail 23 6 c.jpg
    Swallowtail 23 6 c.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 130
Still good numbers of newly-emerged (and therefore late!) Swallowtails today, as well as a Brown Argus!

Whereabouts on the reserve did you see the Swallowtails? I'm probably going for an evening walk there at some point this week. I'm just getting into this whole butterfly & moth business, proving a really enjoyable aside to the birding.
Thanks in advance,
Jim.

For an evening trip to strumpshaw I'd recommend starting outside the reserve, down the footpath west of the carpark. Swallowtails are often on the flowers in the garden just before you enter the reserve in that direction, and you will find dragons roosting on the trees on the straight run down to the river.

In other news, Dark Green Fritillary reported flying from Winterton yesterday.

Aren't I allowed to reply for myself? LOL!
All the above is true, but I'd recommend taking a look at the meadow past the house too: Swallowtails are regular there, as are Skippers, Blues (including Brown Argus) and the usual suspects. If you cross the railway by the style and turn right, there's a long run of bramble bushes: four Swallowtails were feeding on those on Tuesday.
I have to say: midday is best.....
If you enjoy birds too, it's worth noting the water-tank on the right at the start of the track: a pair of Grey Wagtails are feeding young there!

Spotted Flycatcher

Have to be careful here, before the 'thought police' swoop! Go to the reserve centre (ie: the brick hide!) and ask the duty warden. You'll be standing 2 metres from the Spotted Flycatcher!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back