• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

Lightthiscandle

David Bryant
Well: we have the birds, the dragonflies and the butterflies: we might as well go for the set!
I'll start off with some pictures from the Yare Valley.

Attachments

• Stoat Meerkat.jpg
    Stoat Meerkat.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Weasel.jpg
    Weasel.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 245
  • OTTER BEST.jpg
    OTTER BEST.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 3 Hare Monday.jpg
    3 Hare Monday.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Water Deer.jpg
    Water Deer.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 252
Another one. Photo taken in one of our dykes. There are also at least 2 youngsters at the same spot
Alison

Attachments

• 1-IMG_6248.JPG
    1-IMG_6248.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 289
Can I play too? A Common Shrew at Strumpshaw Fen. We saw another one today at Horsey, which was foraging for food at our feet for over five minutes. They seem to be either extremely timid or completely unconcerned by human presence - nothing in between. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me today.

Ron

Attachments

• Close-Shrew.jpg
    Close-Shrew.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 251
Excellent pictures! Here's a couple more from me!

Attachments

• Vole.jpg
    Vole.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 247
  • seals.jpg
    seals.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Hedgehog.jpg
    Hedgehog.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 195
  • RAT.jpg
    RAT.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 257
You beat me to it David! Nice one, a Mammal thread much needed here.

Had an evening visit to Strumpshaw fen on Thursday, after Bats. Recorded 5 species, including Soprano and Common Pipistrelle (relatively common throughout the site) Brown Long-eared (woodland edge near meadow trail) Daubenton's (frequencies not so strong due to range, but seen over the pool from reception hide) and finally a possible Serotine hunting near the pines, but he didn't hang about for confirmation! I confess to 'finding my feet' when it comes to detecting. The BCT have some good .wav files which I have been using to help ID what flies in the dark.

If anyone else has experience of Bats in Norfolk, please post!

Cheers,
Jim.

A walk in the woods today turned up Muntjac and Roe Deer. The Muntjac ignored us and kept on browsing, but the Roe Deer was more alert, posing for a picture before wandering off.

Attachments

• Muntjac (800x600).jpg
    Muntjac (800x600).jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Roe Deer (800x603).jpg
    Roe Deer (800x603).jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 235
Super roe deer James

My contribution to the recent Strumpshaw bioblitz was this water shrew.

Attachments

• water shrew Strumpshaw.JPG
    water shrew Strumpshaw.JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 265
  • water shrew Strumpshaw with an itch.JPG
    water shrew Strumpshaw with an itch.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 224
Super roe deer James

My contribution to the recent Strumpshaw bioblitz was this water shrew.
That's interesting Paul. I am now wondering if my 'Common Shrew' in post no. 3 is actually a Water Shrew. Reading about them they should be very dark on top and pale underneath and usually have white tufts on the ears.

Here are two more shots. Can anyone confirm what sort of Shrew it is?

Ron

Attachments

• Shrew-1-small.jpg
    Shrew-1-small.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Shrew-2-small.jpg
    Shrew-2-small.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 223
Strumpshaw must be THE place for shrews.....had two there today.
I think that they were common shrews and they were totally unfazed by my presence.
I was on my hands and knees and one of them was walking around on my hands.

Strumpshaw must be THE place for shrews.....had two there today.
I think that they were common shrews and they were totally unfazed by my presence.
I was on my hands and knees and one of them was walking around on my hands.

:eek!: That is superb! :t:

Early-ish at Buckenham this morning, I was lucky to observe a Stoat chasing 4 Pied Wagtail. This was not a ferocious hunt, but seemingly play and practise. A lovely sight. The only picture I managed is on my blog, with an account of the morning's happenings.

Cheers,
Jim.

A pair of Muntjac Deer at my patch (Costessey House Private Estate) from last month. Lovely to see the buck at very close quarters; this was taken using a compact digital camera.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
A pair of Muntjac Deer at my patch (Costessey House Private Estate) from last month. Lovely to see the stag at very close quarters; this was taken using a compact digital camera.

Joseph

FWIW male Muntjacs are known as bucks rather than stags. Stag is only referred to male Red, Fallow or Sika Deer all the rest Chinese Water, Roe and Muntjac are bucks.

Cheers,

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back