• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 32 vs 10 x 32 for general purpose birding (1 Viewer)

thecat

I would like to upgrade to a top quality midsize. I will use the binoculars for close range backyard viewing up to longer range stuff at the Florida coast. Your suggestions are appreciated.

TC

thecat said:
I would like to upgrade to a top quality midsize. I will use the binoculars for close range backyard viewing up to longer range stuff at the Florida coast. Your suggestions are appreciated.

TC
Given your criteria, I'd say go for a good pair of 8x32's and then get a scope for the longer viewing. That should work very well. In my opinion, 10x's for backyard viewing is not the best. The 8x solution is hard to fault for any general birding, and coastal long distance is best with a good scope.

I'm pretty much a 10x guy, but have not taken to the 10x32 format yet. Mostly price issues, but I like 40mm at 10x. So go for 8x32.

thecat said:

TC
I used to use only 10x, then got a pair of high-end 8x for woodland and closer viewing. Once my eyes had gotten used to the 8x (slightly better resolution anyway), I found I used them for all but very distant viewing, e.g. seawatching and wide mudflats. I still love the 10x, but the extra weight, and the limited FOV at close range, mean they stay at home most of the time. As Tero says, if you have a scope anyway, you don´t need the extra fire-power in your bins, and the lighter your kit the better. In summary, 8x makes a better all-round bin in my experience. Best of Luck with your choice.

I have an 8x32 pair and a pair of 10x42 roof prisms.The 10x have better clarity and magnification of course but they exaggerate any slightest movement and are hard to keep still.The 8x are much better for general use.

mike from ebbw said:
I have an 8x32 pair and a pair of 10x42 roof prisms.The 10x have better clarity and magnification of course but they exaggerate any slightest movement and are hard to keep still.

Easily solved with a good monopod, doubling as a walking stick! And the 10x32 Ultravid, with a 360 ft. FOV is not too shabby in the first place.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back