• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short lens for landscapes/general purpose/portraits? (1 Viewer)

stevetb

I was wondering what is the best lens under £100 as a general purpose walkaround lens, which can be used for landscapes, and that sort of thing?
I'd like to have a good close focus and preferably a zoom of around 20-60mm ish. It is for a canon 400d. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
steve. :t:

sounds to me like the kit lens would be the ideal solution, you should be able to pick one up secondhand for ~£40... Sigma make a similar 18-50mm lens (~£70). The Canon kit lens gets a lot of bad press but it's really not that bad and is a good, cheap landscape/portrait lens.

I was wondering what is the best lens under £100 as a general purpose walkaround lens, which can be used for landscapes, and that sort of thing?
I'd like to have a good close focus and preferably a zoom of around 20-60mm ish. It is for a canon 400d. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
steve. :t:

Hi Steve,

I just use my standard Canon ef 35-80mm that I have had for years.I use it for portraiture,macro work and landscapes (see below).Works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_9551 copy.jpg
    IMG_9551 copy.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9556 copy.jpg
    IMG_9556 copy.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 140
  • alan2.jpg
    alan2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 119
  • alan1.jpg
    alan1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 136
Longer better for portraits

60 mm would be a little short for portraits. You really want an upper end of at least 80 mm for good portrait shots.

Jeff

60 mm would be a little short for portraits. You really want an upper end of at least 80 mm for good portrait shots.

Jeff

That was conventional thinking for a film SLR - i.e. full frame. 60mm on a 1.6 crop (400D) would be equivalent to 96. I used to use an 18-55, not bad focal length for candids.

Mike.

Thanks.
I have heard some bad things about the kit lens, though i suppose this is my only real option. Mikes pictures prove that you can do well with them!
I have been searching around, and the tamron 17-50mm or 28-75 look good, both have a constant 2.8 aperture, although more expensive, would these be noticeably better?
Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Steve,
just a thought regarding kit lenses. When I was looking around for lenses, I found that a lot of people had just bought the camera body (I too heard bad things about the 18-55mm) and so places like Castle Cameras did have a number of 18-55mm and 17-85mm from kits on their shelves. Not sure about their prices now but especially towards Christmas time (and with cashback from Canon?) you may be able to talk them into giving you a good deal.
Roy

True, i might have a look.

I have been searching, and this could be harder than finding my telephoto lens!
I have found a couple which look good, but for a bit extra, I could get the Sigma 17-70mm, which looks a great little lens. Any others I should be looking at or any comments?

Thanks very much!

These were taken with the kit lens 18-55 which I bought for £50.00. I was asked by a nut case to do a wedding!...no complaints from the bride or groom!

Attachments

• IMG_5626.JPG
    IMG_5626.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5380.JPG
    IMG_5380.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 134
Great shots with the kit lens Adrian and I like your fungi shots Mike :t: I have to say that I have never liked my kit lens as I have always found it too soft and am looking for something better. If you can afford it AC/DC go for something just a bit better. The Sigma may well be a good choice.

True, i might have a look.

I have been searching, and this could be harder than finding my telephoto lens!
I have found a couple which look good, but for a bit extra, I could get the Sigma 17-70mm, which looks a great little lens. Any others I should be looking at or any comments?

Thanks very much!

The sigma 17 - 70 is a superb lens, with a minimum reproduction ratio of 1:2, and maximum apperture of f2.8. I never regretted spending the extra.

Steve
http://www.freewebs.com/stevebabbs/index.htm

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Now I've got to decide whether to go for the kit lens, which would leave me money for a bag to carry all my stuff in (lowepro trekker?) or save up for a better lens and no bag. Decisions decisions.....

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Now I've got to decide whether to go for the kit lens, which would leave me money for a bag to carry all my stuff in (lowepro trekker?) or save up for a better lens and no bag. Decisions decisions.....

Spend the money on the lens - imho it is the most important piece of a camera kit. Put the bag on your Christmas list.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back