• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil - Goias: Violet-Capped Woodnymph? (1 Viewer)

Anton-Jan

Which type of hummingbird did I see in Brazil on 9th of October in the state Goias, a little to the west of Goiania).. Perhaps a Violet-Capped Woodnymph?

Anyone who can help me out with this one?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Violet-Capped Woodnymph DSC_8818.jpg
    Violet-Capped Woodnymph DSC_8818.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
That's a good possibility but from my field guide I think it resembles a female Fork-tailed Woodnymph a little better. The head pattern and slightly more curved bill along with less green on sides / flanks are the features I'm going on.

I've seen them both but not long views.Maybe an expert will chime in.

Thank you for your reply.

I have thought of that possibility, however female fork-tailed doens't show a lot of blue in the tail feathers (in my field guide..), while this one does..

Tough one! :)

Thank you for your reply.

I have thought of that possibility, however female fork-tailed doens't show a lot of blue in the tail feathers (in my field guide..), while this one does..

Tough one! :)

HBW on Fork-tailed Woodnymph states "Female bright green above, duller and more bronze on the crown, and pale grey below; the distal part of the tail is steely blue-black, the outer three rectrices white-tipped. Juvenile male nearly uniform dusky bronze-green below and dull bronze-green above; juvenile female averages more bronzy-green above than adults and usually shows some pale buffy fringes on face, nape and rump feathers."
So I guess Fork-tailed it is

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back