• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow in Northern NJ (1 Viewer)

xyz99

United States
What kind of sparrow is this one? Seen today in northern NJ. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8412.jpeg
    IMG_8412.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
That is a Lincoln's Sparrow with the blue-gray supercilium, buffy malar stripe, thin streaks on buffy flanks, and clean streaking on the back.

Looks more like a Swamp Sparrow to me. Lacks the gray back of Lincoln’s and the bill is too big, also much more likely than a Lincoln’s in New Jersey, especially in the spring. Habitat is exactly where you’d be seeing Swamp Sparrows too. Basically in the water, foraging along a grassy edge.

Looks more like a Swamp Sparrow to me. Lacks the gray back of Lincoln’s and the bill is too big, also much more likely than a Lincoln’s in New Jersey, especially in the spring. Habitat is exactly where you’d be seeing Swamp Sparrows too. Basically in the water, foraging along a grassy edge.
The streaking on the flanks of this bird is too well-defined for a Swamp. The back color is just fine for a Lincoln's and the really clean lines are good, too. I think the beak appears larger because its head feathers are flattened.

I would be inclined to call it a 'song sparrow'... when in doubt, take the more obvious. For me the facial pattern can be a song or a lincoln, but many times the lincoln's crown is peaking, fluffed up....this one is smooth. That to me would be how I would ID this based on the abundance of song sparrows and the lack of the crown (although it is not always peaked, admittedly).

Why wouldn't it be a song sparrow?

My first impression here was Lincoln's, too. I would have thought a Swamp should show a full, bright rusty cap by May 10th, as well as even more rufous wings than this bird.

My first impression here was Lincoln's, too. I would have thought a Swamp should show a full, bright rusty cap by May 10th, as well as even more rufous wings than this bird.

The rusty cap is actually one of the reasons I thought it was a swamp. I was actually convinced it was a swamp, it just looks like one. But then I started comparing the back streaming of the two species and I’m much less sure. It’s definitely not a song sparrow. This is Lincoln’s/swamp and I’ve been swayed towards Lincoln’s away from my initial impression, although I still find the face, cap and bill to look much more swamp-like in the photo. Those things are more easily distorted Or misinterpreted in the photo as compared to the back streaking. It’s probably a Lincoln’s.

The rusty cap is actually one of the reasons I thought it was a swamp. I was actually convinced it was a swamp, it just looks like one. But then I started comparing the back streaming of the two species and I’m much less sure. It’s definitely not a song sparrow. This is Lincoln’s/swamp and I’ve been swayed towards Lincoln’s away from my initial impression, although I still find the face, cap and bill to look much more swamp-like in the photo. Those things are more easily distorted Or misinterpreted in the photo as compared to the back streaking. It’s probably a Lincoln’s.

I'd agree that it doesn't look quite like a normal Lincoln's. Once you suggested Swamp, I took a hard look at the crown. I always think of Swamp as a very dark sparrow, though, with a lot of contrast to the cap. I think you can just make out Lincoln's' gray central crown stripe in the photo, and it just seems like the rest of the face is too pale and crisp for Swamp.

Funny angle, though, and I've never seen a Lincoln's at the water's edge.

Here are a couple more photos, do they help? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8415.jpeg
    IMG_8415.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8400.jpeg
    IMG_8400.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Agreed.....why not include the definitive photos??????

My point was that if a photo is not definitive and you think you have either a 'lifer' or just a basic bird, go with the basic bird.

But in this case with these photos, it is a lincoln all the way.

Agreed.....why not include the definitive photos??????

My point was that if a photo is not definitive and you think you have either a 'lifer' or just a basic bird, go with the basic bird.

But in this case with these photos, it is a lincoln all the way.

Think all the fun we would have missed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back