• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice re Macro lens settings please. (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Could anyone please advise me as to what settings I should use with this Macro lens.It is a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 Macro and it is used with a 300D.
Should one use the macro setting on the camera(the flower),or just the green auto square,or is it okay to use the P setting which I use with the 100-400 lens.
Should one manual focus first,if so which is the easiest setting to use if one does.Or should I just allow the lens to whirr through it's auto routine,but then which is the best setting if one uses that method?.
I would just like some basic info please,not the use of F stops etc.I enclose a couple of images taken,but they are not really very clear.Is there a more suitable lens which could be used with this camera for Macro work?.
Thankyou.

Attachments

• 31st Aug 093.jpg
    31st Aug 093.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 31st Aug 094.jpg
    31st Aug 094.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 31st Aug 099.jpg
    31st Aug 099.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 31st Aug 101.jpg
    31st Aug 101.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 253
I'm not sure, but I think the Macro setting may cause the camera to use flash automatically if it decides to, which may frighten your subject, so the P setting will be more useful.

If you haven't got enough depth of field to get your subject in sharp focus with the P setting then I'm afraid you're going to have to select Av and set the aperture yourself!

Many people prefer manual focussing as the camera can have an annoying habit of picking-up on the background - a blade of grass, for instance - and focussing on that instead of what's sitting on the grass! With a bit of practice you'll soon get used to focussing approximately on the subject and then just moving backwards and forwards to get sharp focus if you want a specific setting (ie if you want to use exactly the same macro ratio for two or more subjects, etc.).

Whatever, double-check the focus as it's often possible to think something's in focus when it becomes sharp-looking on the focus screen only to realise that it needs just a millimetre or two more.

Thanks Adey,so if I use manual focus by rotating the lens,do I need to set the camera to the M setting.A couple of times when I have tried this,no picture has come onto the screen,just a blank .

Hi,
To use manual focus, set the switch on the lens to manual, but do not set the camera dial to 'M' - could set it to 'flower' - the flash will pop up, but it might help, Canon recommend the flower mode for their macro lenses. Better still, get the Canon ringflash - but its not cheap! The trouble with the camera flash is for close subjects the lens will cast a shadow on the subject as the flash is not high enough to point down on the subject (badly worded, hope you understand!). With the Canon flash 550ez you can tilt the flash head down 5 degrees for close-ups - it works well, some people prefer it over the ringflash.
The 105mm Sigma is a superb lens - it's the ideal length lens for flowers (and portraits).
Andrew
ps, you get a blank image when the camera is set to M because it is massively underexposing - in 'M' you have to set both the shutterspeed and aperture.

Sorry, Christine - I went offline just after my last post, but Andrew's answered your query perfectly.

Your photos above are sharp so you're obviously not having problems using the lens - the one thing to be aware of is when you decide to select your own aperture and 'stop down' quite a way to get everything into sharp focus, the camera will be choosing a slower shutter speed than normal and with the Sigma being a 'telephoto' lens everything will be magnified including any camera-shake!

Using a tripod (or flash) will get round this, but where you have to hand-hold the camera the old 'rule of thumb' of '1 over the focal length' for your slowest shutter speed comes into play, i.e. in your case, 1 over 105 - the nearest regular shutter speed to this will be 1/125th second.

It doesn't always work - if you've had a few 'wine gums' the night before, you may need a faster speed but if you're lying down, say, with your elbows resting on the ground giving you a good support for the camera, you can sometimes use a much slower speed than the recommended one. That's the beauty of digital, though - you can practice and experiment to your heart's content without it costing a penny!

Christine, I'm still getting to grips with my Sigma 105 macro lens and haven't really had that much practice with it.

Apparently, the flower setting on the camera dial sets the optimum aperture and shutter speed for macro shots, but you don't have to use it. You can use any of the camera settings you prefer. I tend to use aperture priority most of the time, even with my Sigma 135-400 lens.

I have also found that I prefer to use the 105 macro lens on manual focus. The auto-focus just seems to hunt too much, but maybe it's due to my inexperience that I haven't positioned it correctly from the subject, I don't know.

When you want an exact image size say 1:1 set to manual focus, then use a focus rail to allow you to acurately move the camera back and forward for focus. I use AP mode as it keeps the depth of field under control.

Diane,yes I know what you mean,there is lots of whirring to and fro as the camera searches to focus.I think it needs a little practice.But following the advice given I may eventually manage a decent image.I have a problem where I have to point at the subject being unable to crouch down or as Adey suggested lay flat on the ground,so it would really mean using a tripod.Difficult,but a challenge!!.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back