• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid duck? Zurich Switzerland (1 Viewer)

ebo2112

Canada
Here is a pic of ... I'm not sure what to make of it.
It was consorting with a single male mallard.
Not sure if juvenile but full sized in early April...
Any thoughts advice appreciated.
This pic was the only shot i got, alas.
Cheers
E2

Attachments

• IMG_20190408_225111.jpg
    IMG_20190408_225111.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 35
Domestic mallard. I think female. No way to tell the age, except I don't think it can be a "juvenile" - that means it's never molted. Mallards usually molt twice a year, and this bird has to be at least seven months old.

General rule: If it looks like a Mallard but has odd white or dark bits in its plumage, and especially if it's bigger than a "normal" Mallard and/or looks awkward/ungainly/"too fat to fly" in its proportions, it's a domestic Mallard - not a hybrid, just selectively bred (and fully fertile with wild Mallards). Unless it also has a red bill and overall dark plumage, in which case it could be a Mallard/Muscovy hybrid (also bred domestically, though infertile). Almost any hybrid between Mallard and another wild species will be smaller and slimmer than typical for a Mallard (which is the biggest, bulkiest dabbling duck in Europe).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back